Sunday, June 29, 2008

What a Pain!


I once took a Feldenkrais class which incorporated the technique of looking inside your body to try to understand how it moved. That was years ago, but I still sometimes use that technique.

Last night as I suffered from an unusually bad headache, I tried to visualize what might be causing it. It emanated from the left back of my head. I hadn’t hit my head on anything, so it wasn’t the result of an injury. Were there constricted blood passages in that part of my head? I wondered what even went on in that part of the brain.

Having just come from a pig roast, I wondered if I might suffer from the same allergy that gave my father a horrific headache every time he ate pork. Probably not, since I have eaten pork before with no such headache afterwards.

I took an Aleve and virtually fell into bed. This morning after sleeping a full 12 hours, I don’t have the same pounding headache, but rather my whole head is a little sore and sensitive, as though it has been through a trauma.

I would still like to crawl in and explore what remains of the storm that caused that frightful pain in my head.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

My mother always thought we should have been formed with zippers and little plexiglas windows and have joints complete with exchangeable ball bearings. She would have been crawling into herself constantly to do maintenance work!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Your mother and Feldenkrais would have gotten along famously!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

My family suffers from migraines and we've all struggled to find the causes. For the most part, cigarettes take me out. For my grandpa, it was bananas. My brother's triggers include caffeine and loud noises. Certain foods. Our nephew.

Headaches always wipe me out. Hope you're feeling better!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Brian Hayes said...

No alarm here but a little new stuff we must learn to hear. Mini strokes have been in the news and the NIH has issued statements to say sharp unexplained spikes require our attention. None of us should sell our homes to run to the best real-time MRI I suppose, but all of us should notice these occurrences and come to understand it's quite common, and that we should tell when it happens.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

That's the second bad headache you've had since returning from the Amalfi coast. I'm a little bit concerned about you.

Take care, dear one!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm getting my yearly physical tomorrow, so I will see what my doctor has to say about the headaches.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It's interesting that you write about a headache immediately after writing about vision problems. Sometimes transient vision problems come before severe headaches or migraines. Maybe the two are related somehow? (Though it sounds like you have some vision issues that are more long-term.)

Anyway, I hope you feel better!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home