Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Girly-Girl Afternoon and Eating Mindfully


Instead of meeting at Starbucks, my friend and I met at Capitol Nails for a pedi-mani afternoon. What a non-Buddhist way to gear up for eating mindfully with my meditation group later this evening.

It turns out that a nail salon is the perfect way to socialize and gossip with a friend. While the nail technicians converse in Vietnamese, you can talk about anything and everything with each other and with the other clients.

At one point Mai and Lan (although I’m not really sure those were their names) were advising us on toe color. We joked that they were probably saying to each other “Give the old woman the darker color” as they smiled at us and worked on our feet and legs.

I’ve never had such a complete pedicure. My technician even used a razor to take the calluses off my feet. Tonight they are baby soft.

We both opted for just a hint of nail color, choosing Opi’s “No Pre-Nup” shown above. It’s polish but just barely noticeable.

To continue a totally girly-girl afternoon we made our way to Union Station with shiny toes and nails to slowly sip mango margaritas, the perfect hot-summer drink.

As my friend headed home to deal with dogs, the clothes dryer, and the reality of life, I headed off to Starbucks for a cup of coffee (I know I said I wouldn’t, but...) so I could stay awake at meditation.

Since we never get a chance to really socialize during our silent meditation, we decided to have a potluck dinner tonight. After a half-hour sit, we put out a variety of vegetarian dishes on a low Korean table placed in the middle of our meditation cushions. There was quinoa bean salad, homemade salsa with chips, cold Korean noodles, a green salad, corn bread, and 3 types of tea.

After loading up our plates, we decided to eat in silence for 5 minutes. It’s amazing how much more you can taste when you aren’t talking. But then we learned all about each other’s busy lives as we continued to eat and chat.

Dessert was fruit with homemade yogurt and yummy banana bread. What a feast!

My toes will be bright for the rest of the summer. I’m sure the nail polish won’t be on as long, but it’s fun while it lasts! For at least a day or two I will think about my food as I take that first bite.

13 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

What's un-Buddhist about mani/pedis? You can receive them mindfully, too. BTW, it's Tuey at Capitol Nail who is so good - the Tuey with short hair (there are two Tueys there).

And you forgot to mention the man who tried to pick me up at the bar. I'm still astonished.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I thought I'd let you tell the world about your new boyfriend. He was admiring more than your hat. Like I said, "Just as good for your ego as getting carded!"

8:01 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I love Capitol Nails. It feels so wholesomely decadent to relax, midafternoon, while someone else attacks my feet... I suppose it's not so wholesome from the someone else's point of view, though. And the vegetarian feast? How wonderful. I love quinoa salads.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- What's amazing is how good it feels to have someone ATTACK your feet, even with a razor!

9:54 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Attack? man, its been a long time since I was attacked.
My feet are a disgrace. They look like potatos.

i want to hear about Reya's adventure!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- It's funny, but I don't think of men as getting pedicures. However, there was an African-American man two chairs down from me who had the most beautiful feet with perfect toenails. I guess anyone can enjoy the nirvana of having their feet worked on. Maybe you should subject those spuds to a good pedicurist!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I was remembering that strange guy that came to one of your meditation meetings... I wonder what he would have brought to your meal (probably hot wings, he didn't have a clue). Sounds like you had a very good day. (There's nothing like being picked up to fluff up your ego... one of the reasons I like moving back to the Silicon Valley, the man/woman ratio makes the men more... friendly)

1:11 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Pedicurist? They better bring a HAZMAT suit.
What I need is a combination Archeologst/Mechanic/Magician.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- That was actually a different meditation group and I had forgotten about that weird guy. It was a veggie menu last night, so I hope he wouldn't have dared to bring chicken wings. But then he might have.

As for being picked up, the guy was talking only to my friend, not to me! But it was definitely a pick-up attempt.

Steve -- Maybe you should just leave your shoes on if and when we ever meet :)!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a fun adventure!

In Zen we have ritual meals called oriyoki that involve eating silently -- and you're right, it makes a HUGE difference.

Steve #2 (or am I #1?)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve #2 -- Interesting to think of last night's dinner as a ritual meal. Maybe so because we intend to repeat it quarterly now.

Yes, you are Steve #2 only in order of my meeting you. You are two of my favorite people, but you are miles apart in most every way, except on my link list where you just happen to follow each other alphabetically!

4:45 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

If someone can explain me how, I'll change my moniker to "Bullethoes"...

Then at the pedicurist I can get some little six-guns painted onto my toenails...
Yee-Haw!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve #1 -- Not to worry. We already know Steve #2 has a picture associated with his comments, so now that everyone is aware there are 2 of you Steves, we can just drop the numbers!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home