Monday, July 21, 2008

Gently Pushing Away Pain


It’s such a mystery to me as to how osteopathy works. I occasionally visit Dr. Greg Craddock when I have a persistent pain and he inevitably sets me on the road to recovery.

Contrary to chiropractory, which always seems rather jerky, violent, and sometimes even painful, osteopathy is slow and gentle with constant pressure but virtually no pain. It’s not like massage because there is no stroking and no oil/cream involved.

It’s almost as though Dr. Craddock can see inside my tissue to know the cause of the pain. Today’s visit was the second and final appointment to deal with the hand I injured when I fell off my bike several weeks ago.

I tend to close my eyes and almost fall asleep as he deals with the problematic area and always works on my neck and spine. But when I open my eyes, there is an immediate feeling of improvement which I never sense with any other doctor.

When I walk out the door of that office, for at least a while I feel a fluidity in walking that is often missing in my peculiar gait. For a time I am actually in balance.

For Dr. Craddock, osteopathy is a second career, following many years as a NYC fireman. I’m sure he saved many lives in his previous career, but his real calling is this gentle alternative approach to pain that continues to amaze everyone he treats.

As I get older, I find I am more and more open to treatments of all sorts. But for chronic pain, osteopathy is the best I’ve found.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I'm not at all familiar with osteopathy. It sounds like a very good thing, especially with the right person.

1:14 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

There's a Dr. in NYC who has written a book and is becoming very popular with his particular brand of mind-body medicine. He's really pushing the idea that many aches and pains are the body's reaction to mental and emotional tension. Not a new idea, I know, but a lot of people really like this guy. If I can figure out his name and his book, I'll let you know.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Hopefully you will never need Dr. Craddock, but file his name away for when you get older!

MC -- I would be very interested in reading the book you mentioned.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Excellent! Dr. Craddock and I always talk the entire time I'm receiving treatment. Yack yack yack about his kids, the neighbors, etc.

He's very talented, and so jolly, the way firemen always are. Reading your post is making me think it's just about time for me to get in there for a tune up.

A toast to Dr. Craddock. BRAVO!!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

I've got to try this . . . or something. Is it very different from chiropractic manipulation?

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home