Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Synergy = Energy

This afternoon we were reminded that music can and should be fun. We were entertained by Synergy, a brass quintet of 20-30-somethings.

They started by throwing all of our musical etiquette assumptions out the window. We were told to clap, shout, or whistle whenever the music moved us to do so.

I quickly learned that synergy equated to energy. They played a variety of music -- from Rimsky-Korsakov’s Procession of the Nobles to Tommy Dorsey’s I’m Getting Sentimental Over You to selections from Porgy and Bess.

All 5 of these musicians were conservatory-trained. They use sophisticated techniques like breathing through their nose while they are playing. But their main objective today was to involve the audience in a variety of music.

It was a timely lesson for me, as I struggle with my yearly anxieties over making mistakes and realize it’s really all about having fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I laughed at your comment about making mistakes. Even the pros make mistakes. Take baseball, if you hit a ball ONCE every three times at bat, you are considered GREAT! I think it's all about ratio. My piano teacher once told me that he types a hundred words a minute, then softly added... with ninety-nine mistakes! :::grin:::

Sounds like you are having a great vacation! (although I think for retired folks, it's just a continuation of their daily lives... in a new area)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

This sounds really fantastic!

And yes, I think we all need the occasional reminder that it's okay to goof. A lot.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

What a wonderful concert. You know, those of us who listen to jazz and rock 'n roll are never timid about applause, whistling, shouting, etc. whenever we feel the energy. It's part of many concerts.

I always thought the behavior protocols around classical music were so weird.

Whoop it up, girlfriend! Bravo!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home