Friday, July 04, 2008

Music from the Past

Just today I happened to remember a song that kept coming back to me yesterday. It was interesting that with every recurrence I remembered another line of the lyrics.

In the summer of 1967 I borrowed the Sergeant Pepper album from a dear friend and memorized every song on it. The music suited my place in life so well as I left home forever and broadened my universe in a college town.

So what song was it that served as my refrain for every round of noise yesterday? Here it is:

Fixing a Hole
(Lennon/McCartney)

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
And stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go

I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door
And kept my mind from wandering
Where it will go

And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong
See the people standing there
Who disagree and never win
And wonder why they don't get in my door

I'm painting my room in the colourful way
And when my mind is wandering
There I will go
Ooh ooh ooh ah ah
Hey, hey, hey, hey

And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong
Silly people run around
They worry me and never ask me
Why they don't get past my door

I'm taking the time for a number of things
That weren't important yesterday
And I still go
Ooh ooh ooh ah ah

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
Stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go oh
Where it will go oh

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
And stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go

I hadn’t thought about this song in years, probably not since the last time I played my vinyl copy of it. But that’s the music that my mind offered up to accompany all that noise. Go figure!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

I am always amazed at the random music that pops into my head at random times. That sounds like a great song for yesterday's ordeal. Happy 4th!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- There is a Beatles song for most every occasion, even for an MRI it turns out!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I don't think I know the song. I'll have to find a copy when I get home. You're right - there really is a Beatles song for everything, isn't there?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Best Beatles album ever!! And definitely a great song.

7:33 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I love this one too and find myself singing it often...it also makes me think of my Dad and the days after he was diagnosed with alzheimers and trying to reconcile himself to the things he couldn't do anymore.
Do ya get that?
hi Barbara, Ive been gone!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home