Sunday, July 20, 2008

Vacuum Day

Cleaning house is a good way to find out what works and what doesn’t. Today is vacuum day and I am rediscovering why I have a housecleaner (who is currently recovering from having a baby).

I started by locating the old Kenmore vacuum cleaner and all its pieces. I even changed the bag which was bulging with dirt and dog hair. I swept first to get rid of the large clumps of dog hair.

It was after about 20 minutes that the vacuum cleaner started this annoying habit of cutting off and then restarting itself if I wiggled it just right. It is in fairly sad shape. I wonder why Angelina has never mentioned it to me?

I’m taking a break before tackling the next section of my house, planning to haul out the lighter weight vacuum cleaner and see if it works any better.

It’s so easy to be critical of those who clean houses for not doing things like moving the furniture to vacuum under it. But guess what, I found myself going around the edges saying, “Who will ever know what’s underneath?”

I alerted my husband that if there was even one complaint about the quality of my cleaning job, I was going to turn it over to him. So far, he has offered nothing but compliments.

I’m tempted to call Angelina to find out how life is going with a 3-week old baby and a stomach full of stitches. I can truly imagine she would like to stay off forever from this job, but it will buy the diapers and baby food.

Meanwhile, enough wasting time. There are floors and rugs and carpet just begging to be vacuumed. Maybe I’ll try whistling while I work...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lemmonex said...

I think Angelina would like the call...

I vacuumed today and it is astonishing to me how much the thing would NOT pick up. There was still a lot of hair laying around. When I clean, I want it to look clean afterwards, darn it.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lemmonex -- I'm still luxuriating in that squeaky clean feeling you have for a few hours after the house is cleaned. But, you are right, there still is some stubborn dog hair that refused to be sucked up. Oh well, maybe next time...

I will call Angelina tomorrow and make her suffer through my attempt at speaking Spanish!

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home