Saturday, August 02, 2008

Above Average Arugula

The locally known organic wild arugula is one of the best additions Whole Foods has made recently. Then I read a little further to discover that locally known salad greens actually come from Maine. And I wonder whether they really wanted me to read it as “locally grown”.

I’m sure it’s incredibly hard to package fresh greens in a way they can travel well. So many of the plastic containers of salad greens contain a soggy area that just didn’t make it. But not these locally known organic Maine greens. It’s as though they are straight out of the garden earlier in the day. I wonder how they do it and still bear the organic label.

And that word “wild” – doesn’t that usually mean uncultivated? The picture on the container shows a field that looks quite planted to me.

I contend it was the combination of the words “locally”, “organic”, and “wild” that got me to buy this product, and oh yes, the fact that I had run out of salad greens at home. It didn’t seem to matter that “known” was not “grown” and “wild” meant something other than what I think it should mean.

Fortunately I am willing to forgive their marketing strategy because the product recommends itself. But I’m a little disappointed to fall for something that borders on false advertizing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

After reading Kingsolver's book, I have changed our eating habits to buy more locally. Luckily, we live in California. So, basically, I check the box or the bag and don't buy bananas anymore. I don't buy things out of season, although those Mexican watermelons looked pretty good last Christmas! (Mr. R. misses the pineapples, but we all have to make sacrifices, maybe he'll take me to hawaii, so he can eat the local fruit!)

1:55 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- If I really was trying to buy locally grown produce, I would NOT be buying this one that comes from MAINE! It just happens to be as good or better than anything I've found locally.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Barbara,

Thanks for visiting my blog recently. I am longing for a moment or two to catch up on my favorite blogs - yours included - and hope to get the opportunity soon. I have been dealing with some heavy, heavy issues concerning two loved ones health (my father and a dear friend). I just wanted to send out a hello before heading off the the hospital. Hope to catch up soon.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I've missed you but certainly understand. Blogging must take a backseat when it comes to the health of those we love. I hope your loved ones don't have to suffer with their illnesses.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I have serious sog (and slime) issues with greens. I'm so wary.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home