Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tempted to Watch

I’m thinking maybe I need to learn to like TV, at least one show a week. I just came from a RAK meeting where everyone was discussing Project Runway and I didn’t have the slightest idea what they were talking about. It sounds like a reality show I might actually be interested in. It's all about design and construction of clothing.

I could probably list on one hand the TV shows I have seen more than once over the past couple of decades. I was a Dallas fan. I watched American Dreams and loved it. We taped Days of Our Lives for several years and then watched it later, fast-forwarding through the commercials. But that’s about it.

It’s interesting that the host of Project Runway is the author of the book on style that Velvet recently suggested. It just came and I’m ready to see what Tim Gunn has to say tomorrow.

The style project is progressing. We spent time in Borders the other day flipping through fashion magazines and taking pictures of what appealed to us. But meanwhile, just as I think I’m finishing my homework, our "consultant" SC adds more to our assignment:

Finally, here are a few other questions you might enjoy contemplating, journalling about and discussing. The invitation here again is not to analyze too much (although some connections and insights and ahas are sure to come)- and focus on having fun and musing and being curious and exploring and discovering.

5 favorite movies/films
5 favorite books
5 favorite characters
5 lives: If you could live 5 lives, what would they be, what would you be doing (this one is just about naming role/occupation/vocation i.e. I'd be a dancer or CIA operative or virtuoso musician, or Olympic Athlete, or work with cars)
and
People you admire most

Maybe if I get my homework done, I will tune in on Wednesday night to see what everyone is talking about. What do you think of Project Runway? If you watch TV, what is your favorite show?

8 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

I haven't had TV reception in ten years. I haven't missed it one bit. The kids at school are always aghast when they hear this. "What do you DO without TV?" they always ask. I tell them I read or write or go outdoors. Now the new house owner has had cable installed and just in case I ever give up my little cottage to a new tenant, they had it installed here, too. I have to admit, I watched the weather channel and the Olympic opening ceremonies the first night. I haven't turned the TV on since. I simply forget it's available and turn to my old, satisfying pursuits. Like you, when the talk at work turns to TV shows, I can't participate.

The rest of your questions are intriguing. If I post answers, I'll let you know :)

5:58 AM  
Blogger media concepts said...

If you want to ease back into tv watching, you might do better than to pick a retarded "reality" show. Really, you may vomit. Instead, I would suggest Mad Men, a period piece drama about Madison Avenue advertising men in the early 1960s, which airs on Sunday nights on A & E. Mad Men has been nominated for a crazy amount of Emmy Awards, at least 16. The writing is impeccable. If you're interested in clothes, the characters in Mad Men wear period clothing that is spot on (probably one of the Emmy nominations).

6:50 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I haven't really caught onto any of the reality shows but my DVR's queued up to record a number of shows including Mad Men, Saving Grace and Weeds.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Remember those questions are not my questions, but rather the questions of our young consultant which each of us are supposed to answer!

MC -- I will take your suggestion and watch Mad Men. When have you ever steered me wrong? :)

Kristin -- I will add Saving Grace and Weeds just for kicks. Maybe I will become a TV junkie in my retirement after all! :)

9:18 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

At the risk of causing MC to vomit- I have to say I am addicted to Project Runway. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tim Gunn and think Heidi Klum is the sexiest thing under the sun.The creativity of these people constantly fascinates me.I wish I could think "out of the box" the way these designers do.

I actually find some reality TV shows WAY more interesting than the made up fiction of some of these new series. Although, I ADORE Weeds just because it is SO quirky and so far removed from our lives.
To each his own, I guess

3:25 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I love project runway, but then I love to watch people sew!

5 favorite movies/films:

Murphy's Romance
Legally Blonde
Dr. Zhivago
Pride and Prejudice
The Bourne Identity

Mind you, I believe in pure entertainment... I don't get all judgemental about things I like or don't like. I have to do enough reading about serious things for the classes I am taking, so I am all for pure entertainment and just sitting back and enjoying the moment.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Gewels,

One of my favorite parts is when the contestants mock Tim Gunn, using his phrases like, "Make it Work!" ::laugh::: I also love it when Tim Gunn goes to look at how the finalists are doing in their own hometown.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels, Kelly -- With endorsements like this, I simply must watch this week's episode of Project Runway! I think "Make it work" is perfect advice for just about everything in life!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home