Monday, October 13, 2008

Get Out the Vote -- Part 4

It’s interesting that every week when we go out to canvass, the results tend to mirror the national polls or look even better. Yesterday was no exception.

Once again we ended up in an area of Northern Virginia completely new to us. It was a townhouse community near the intersection of Little River Turnpike and I-395.

Most of the residents appeared to be from countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, and India, with a few Vietnamese thrown into the mix. Almost all the adults had been born outside this country.

This was the most welcome I had been made to feel. People were thanking me for coming and offering me a chance to come into their homes to talk. Children were quick to offer to help me find addresses.

In one instance, a son (probably in his early 20's) came to the door. My list showed 5 people at this address for whom I was to collect information. Here was our exchange:

Me: Can you share with me who you are going to vote for in the upcoming Presidential election?
Boy: McCain. But everyone else living here is voting for Obama.
Me: Can I ask why you are going to vote for McCain?
Boy: Because I’m afraid of too much change.
Me: Obama is promising change that you and the rest of this country badly need.

At that point his mother came to the door in her sari and assured me they were going to convince him to vote for Obama before November 4! I left matters in her hands.

Several of the more ardent Obama supporters were very vocal in their support. I urged them to make sure they talked to their neighbors and especially to make sure everyone got to the polls on November 4.

Today’s Post confirmed the growing Obama support. Whereas 4 weeks ago many people were still undecided and the Obama-McCain ratio seemed frighteningly close, yesterday Obama came out the big winner, at least in the neighborhood where we canvassed.

14 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

"Afraid of too much change"? When the country is going to HELL? I really don't get that.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- It made me wonder what had prompted this young man to say such a thing. When someone says he/she is going to vote for McCain, I typically say "Thank you" and just move on to the next address. But I could tell this guy was struggling with his choice. I handed him an Obama pamphlet and told him to continue to discuss it with his family.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I really enjoy hearing about your canvassing, and it reminds me that I should be out there, too.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You're doing a good thing.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm making up for 35 years of not being able to campaign because I worked for the Federal government.

1:47 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I wonder if the young man could have named the specific changes that he thought were "too much." Rolling back the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy? Investing in renewable energy? Ending the $10 billion a month War in Iraq? Maybe this is a case of a buzzword working too well.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Exactly. You wonder what kinds of changes had affected him negatively in his two decades to make him say such a thing. It is quite unusual when canvassing to find a house where the vote is split. Almost always younger people seem to be voting like their elders. I'm wondering if he had issues with his family and was trying to stake his independence on his right to vote however he pleased?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Um..."too much change"?

Bring it on! Please!!!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mo -- Yes! We need change, change, and more change!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

By now Germany`s voters are quite clear in their preference. We cannot vote there, of course, but moved from 75 to now 85 % for Obama. (Hillary would also have had a chance). McCain lost all his last charm when he chose Palin. She is really insufferable!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Angela -- I wish you could vote in Virgina. I hope the rest of the undecided voters see it your way.

What is always amazing to me is how much Europeans know about American politics. Most Americans couldn't name the leaders of the EU countries if a million dollars was at stake!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

But you have heard of our chancellor Mrs. Merkel? She is always the only woman around.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Angela -- You Europeans are far ahead of us in terms of getting women into high office! I'm sure Chancellor Angela Merkel could talk circles around George Bush IN ENGLISH! It's interesting that she shares your name.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I hope you get the change you so badly need. Our poles closed for today and it lookd like we're stuck with the same Prime Minister Stephen Harper again!

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home