Saturday, March 14, 2009

Queen for a Day or at least a Night



I had been meaning to write about this year’s Purim spiel at Temple Micah, but got a little distracted by the neighborhood fire and other things this week. However, it was too good not to give a short report.

Before the “spiel”, the staff chanted the story of Esther, reading the whole Megillah, or most of it.



Every year casts Shushan, the home of King Ahaseurus, in a different light. This year it was Motown and the players all dressed accordingly. The Motown songs we all know and love had been slightly altered, resulting in lyrics like “Set me free, why don’t you, King” and “Stop in the name of God.” The star of the show, at least in my mind, was an autistic young adult who played Haman. He is almost impossible to engage in a meaningful conversation, and yet he can sing and dance like a pro. In the end, as always, the King listens to his new Queen Esther (a Jew) who is advised by her cousin Mordechai, the Jews are saved, and the treacherous Haman gets the ax.



Purim is a time for dressing in costume. At least a third of the young girls came as Queen Esther. There were also Karate Kids, Dalmations, super-girls, and many other clever disguises.





After all the theatricals, everyone feasted on hamantaschen, little fruit-filled pastries that look like Haman’s hat and are always served at Purim.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love Hamantaschen...........One of the wonderful things about being married to Frank was all the new recipes I tried out from "My Yiddisha Momma" cookbook. I made both apricot and prune Hamantaschen but Frank's favorites were poppy seed. Not one of my favs but I would make several for him with poppy seeds as well. Your pictures were delightful as always.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- Next year I think I'll really dress up. This year I just went as a creaky old lady with a cane!

I must confess I've never made Hamantaschen, but I do like to eat them.

3:52 PM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

A nice introduction for me. Great photos of the kids, too.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the info! I was unaware of all the backstory. Adorable kids!

Possible "reframe:" you went dressed as the Amazing Recuperating Hip Lady with the snazzy cane!

F.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

cute, cute kiddos!

No adults drank enough to not be able to distinguish between Blessed be Mordecai and cursed be Hamman?

9:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Tut-tut -- Kids in costumes always present good photo ops!

Anon -- I like the reframe. You have such a way of seeing the positive side of things!

Kelly -- Nothing stronger than non-alcoholic grape juice! Everyone shook their "groggers" and made a racket every time HAMAN was mentioned. Purim is really a raucous holiday!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I like Hamantaschen too!

You just know that karate kid's mom decided to put him in his karate whites to avoid having to secure a REAL costume. :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- You're probably right about the Karate Kid. But I think he was just as happy wearing his karate uniform.

One of the best costumes was a teenager with a white towel over his head held in place with a black cord. He was wearing dark glasses. Get it?

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home