Friday, March 06, 2009

A New Take on Safe Sex



Safe sex takes on a whole new meaning when you are post-menopausal with the same partner and a new hip. It’s no longer about timing or protection, but all about position.

A few PT visits ago, my husband suggested that I ask Christina what would be safe. She is about 30 and quite attractive. Her first comment was “Men!” Then she said, “They actually teach us what to say in PT school.” She gave me a detailed explanation of what would be safe positions and why, emphasizing the important thing is not to let the angle of my right hip get to more than 90 degrees and not to cross my right leg over my left. What you are trying to avoid is dislocation of the new hip. As it turns out there are at least a couple of options.

This whole thing of returning to sex reminds me of sex after childbirth. After you have given birth, ripped and/or had an episiotomy, about the last thing in the world you want to think about is starting the process all over again. At least that’s your initial reaction. As those initial memories fade, there is once again a mutual desire.

Initially after my hip replacement as I stared at my lifeless right leg that I couldn’t even drag across the bed, sex was simply not on my radar screen. I had much more immediate goals like getting out of bed to go to sit on the porta-potty. But eventually life started returning to normal.

Google will tell you that sex can be resumed within 4-6 weeks of a hip replacement. At first I would have said, ask me in about a year. But guess what, we made good on that statistic. As it turns out, I wasn’t even thinking about my new hip. There was no pain, just gentleness and a lot of love and it was all very safe!

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow. Now this is an aspect of healing I'd never even considered.

Let's hear it for returning to normalcy! :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

When at the zoo, the other day, we had a five day old giraffe... so cute!!!

I guess that gestation for giraffes is fourteen to sixteen months, so Papa giraffe was interested in starting the process as soon as possible. Mama giraffe, who had just given birth to a SIX FOOT baby was in NO HURRY! :::smile:::

How do porcupines have sex?



very carefully!

11:48 AM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

Wow ... I'm with Steve. Sex didn't hit my radar. Well, it's not hitting my radar at all. My doctor suggested I start going to the gym to check out all the hot guys (motivation). As he is quite a bit younger than me ...

I was proud to give him "the mother stare" ... geesh.

You are quite lucky to have a gentle loving partner, still ... gives me hope!

xxx
rdm

12:14 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Yeah, I'd definitly say not to cross your legs Barb!
90 degrees of what?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You are definitely healing, aren't you? Congrats on keeping your new hip in place and moving on with life.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home