Wednesday, September 02, 2009

My love-hate affair with electronics


My commitment to electronics has definitely shifted. I panicked today when my iPhone was refusing to charge. What would I do on my trip with no phone? My connections to the world were now dependent on that phone working.

A year ago I would have laughed at someone with this problem, still keeping everyone’s phone number in my head and seldom turning on my cell phone.

But obviously things have changed.

I confessed to having dropped my phone yesterday and wondered if the battery had been damaged. My husband suggested we try charging it again, and if that didn’t work we would go to the Apple store to either replace the battery or buy a new phone. When the charging didn’t work, he simply turned it off and on again and VOILA! a fully charged battery. Go figure.

I hope that is the end of my phone worries because I definitely need that phone on my SF trip. I now know how to power it off if necessary and I know how to put it in “airplane mode” when flying.

My bags really are packed now, as is my breakfast (which I hope they won’t take away from me). I have my joint replacement card ready to show the security people so I don’t set the alarm off on their machine with my titanium hip. I’ve brushed the cobwebs off my cool cane, which I am taking along to help me get up and down the SF hills.

The only remaining challenge is getting up at 3:15 am to drive to BWI in the middle of the night. Once I’m there, I will breathe a sigh of relief and know the trip is ON!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the feeling of finally sitting back in my airplane seat, knowing that the trip I've been awaiting is really, finally underway. You'll be in your seat in a matter of hours, dear Barbara! I hope you enjoy every minute of your voyage.

Much love,

F.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Have a wonderful trip!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

all my bags are packed... I'm ready to go, I'm standing here, outside your door. I hate to wake you up to say goodbye, but the dawn is breaking, it's early morn, the taxi's waiting, he's honking his horn, already I'm so lonesome, I could cry... 'cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again, oh babe.... I hate to go...

Just thinking of this song, makes me miss Mr. Denver and the light he brought into our world! Have a safe trip, Barbara, see you in MERE HOURS!!

4:36 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's amazing how much we've come to rely on our devices. Got a little lost last night on my way to meet friends. Couldn't get a hold of anyone so I decided to ask a man on the street. He asked if he could go dancing with me. I declined but smiled and he pointed me in the right direction. I should do that more.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Dave has told me that rebooting the iPhone solves a lot of problems. I'm glad it worked in your case, too.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home