Monday, October 19, 2009

Shoes, Glorious Shoes


The blankness of my calendar for today initiated a cleaning frenzy. Every time I do this I realize just how much is left. It’s something of a curse having a lot of storage space.

This round started with my bathroom. I filled a huge bag with shampoos and other beauty products that had been languishing on the shelves and in the drawers. The homeless shelter near our house is always receptive to things like these.

Then I moved on to the linen closet. I got rid of wash cloths that looked more like rags, towels that hadn’t been used for ages, and orphaned pillow cases. It looked so refurbished with all the remaining linens neatly folded and not crammed in.

The real objective of today’s cleaning was the closets in my room. I put together a bag of sweaters that were not worn out in the least but not being worn.

I never had thought of myself as a shoe horse, but my closet might have said otherwise. It was past time to get rid of the shoes that won’t work with my orthotics, the ones that don’t offer enough support, and the ones that are just decades out of style.



I had 6 pairs of Life Stride “Shelas”. You know they are old when the price was 25% off $38 at Woodward & Lothrop. My favorite was the bright red pair that always made me feel like something out of the Wizard of Oz.



The Purple Heart truck is visiting our neighborhood next week. They will think they have hit the mother lode when they get to our house.

I have been unable to elicit any enthusiasm from my husband in cleaning out. It doesn’t concern him in the least that his closets are filled with comparable clothes and shoes that are no longer worn. His comment, “I guess if we moved to a 2-bedroom place we would have to get serious about purging.”

Although someone walking in my front door wouldn’t have a clue as to my day’s work, I feel better that at least 3 areas have been tackled.

9 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

I should have borrowed some of YOUR shoes! Ha!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great sense of accomplishment! There's definitely something to be said for restoring order to one's life.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Although you would have looked great in my red pumps, I think your water-logged shoes were probably much more comfortable! :)

Kristin -- It's only a little corner of order. There's still so much chaos in so many places. We really do need to move!

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This definitely earns you some Clutter Points, as I call them. Enjoy the small but significant extra space, both internal and external!

(BTW, my verification word is "rested!")

F.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- I'm banking my Clutter points. Where can I redeem them? :)

9:01 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Well done, Barbara! I am most impressed with your de-cluttering activities! Been enjoying all your lots of earlier posts, too :)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Decluttering is such a refreshing feeling. I purge my stuff on a regular basis and I almost never wish I had something back.

10:57 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Good for you! We (okay, Joe - but I did it earlier this year!) cleaned out our closet and came up with two huge bags full of clothes for the Purple Heart truck. Yay! Space in the closet!

12:18 PM  
Blogger rachaelgking said...

We have a ONE bedroom apartment and I still would love to set aside some time to sort through all my clothes... and hopefully get rid of a third of them. I have WAY too much stuff!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home