Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wake-up Call


All day long yesterday I had felt agitated, probably a state brought on by a hefty dose of morning caffeine. I’m starting to think coffee is not a good thing for my system.

Then as we were getting ready to go to services, I couldn’t find my favorite sweater anywhere. I checked to see if it had fallen off a hanger. I couldn’t remember having seen it since my trip to SF. I had a mini-meltdown over a sweater for God’s sake.

The Friday night music at TM sort of nudged me back into a state of contentment and pushed my unhappiness over the lost sweater to the background.

Last night we celebrated 20 years of Micah House, a home for 4 women recovering from addiction at a time. Over 30 women had called it their home during those years. Last night one of them spoke about how that house had been all that had kept her from homelessness, how she had emerged to then buy a home of her own, where she has lived for the past 14 years.

Our rabbi Danny reminded us how fortunate we are to be able to share what we have with those who don’t have as much. Our cantor Meryl sang this song, which pretty well summed up the feelings of the evening:

Grateful by John Bucchino

I've got a roof over my head
I've got a warm place to sleep
Some nights I lie awake counting gifts
Instead of counting sheep

I've got a heart that can hold love
I've got a mind that can think
There may be times when I lose the light
And let my spirits sink
But I can't stay depressed
When I remeber how I'm blessed

Grateful, grateful
Truly grateful I am
Grateful, grateful
Truly blessed
And duly grateful

In a city of strangers
I've got a family of friends
No matter what rocks and brambles fill the way
I know that they will stay in the end

I feel a hand holding my hand
It's not a hand you can see
But on the road to the promised land
This hand will shepherd me
Through delight and despair
Holding tight and always there

Grateful, grateful
Truly grateful I am
Grateful, grateful
Truly blessed
And duly grateful

It's not that I don't want a lot
Or hope for more, or dream of more
But giving thanks for what I've got
Makes me so much happier than keeping score

In a world that can bring pain
I will still take each chance
For I believe that whatever the terrain
Our feet can learn to dance
Whatever stone life may sling
We can moan or we can sing

Grateful, grateful
Truly grateful I am
Grateful, grateful
Truly blessed
And duly grateful

My husband got up and gave a wonderful tribute to his father, a practice extended to any member celebrating the yahrzeit of a loved one. It brought tears to my eyes as I remembered a man I had grown to love over the years.

I went home and found my sweater hiding in my closet. The evening had reminded me of so many things so much more important than misplacing my favorite sweater, my several-years-old Calvin Klein from Filenes. It really didn’t matter so much in the scheme of things.

8 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

This comedy clip that's been going around is both funny and thought-provoking, along the lines in your post, about how good we have it and often don't realize.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=545352836934&ref=mf

8:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Hilarious! And makes you think. Kids born today don't even know how to use a rotary dial phone.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

amazing isn't it how feeling grateful for what you DO have replaces feeling sorry for what you don't

7:36 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

You're right -- it's so easy to allow what we have to become eclipsed in our own minds. All the same, I'm glad you found the sweater. :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Lovely to remain grateful and give thanks for the blessings in our lives. We are blessed in so many ways and the list can be quite long if we simply open our hearts.

It seems to be a message that came at the right time for you. Another reason to be grateful.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I'd been feeling a little blah lately and a friend suggested Sam-e. It's evened me out a little. I still had a meltdown today when I made dinner (salmon over onions, salad, brussel sprouts, rice, assorted pickles and olives) and everyone was just stoved up in their room. Dr. R. was taking a nap. Grrrr! ::laugh::

8:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Well said.

Steve -- I think you and I share the desire to be able to account for material things that matter to us. I have been known to let it get the better of me. But yes, I am glad I found the sweater, which wasn't actually quite as beautiful or perfect as I had remembered it to be.

Gary -- Isn't timing just everything? That service was far better than a trip to a therapist's office!

Kelly -- Sounds like a great dinner. I hope everyone appreciated your efforts!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

If we didn't melt down once in a while, how would we know how good contentment feels? Sometimes, we need to lose a sweater to find peace.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home