Friday, October 30, 2009

Trying to Decide


I’m vacillating on whether to get flu shots once again.  For many people it’s a no-brainer, but I’m never too sure if I really want to be vaccinated against something I never seem to get.

I had the flu once, when I was 10 years old, and it was really terrible.  I remember being almost delirious with fever.  I remember getting to stay home from school for 2 weeks.  But that was the last time my body succumbed to one of the many flu viruses.

My doctor, of course, is urging me to take the shots.  My husband gets them religiously.  But I think I’ve only take one flu shot in my life.

Maybe it’s because I hated shots so much as a kid.  On a day when I had to go to the pediatrician’s office to get a shot of any kind, I remember asking my mother to tell me how much it was going to hurt ahead of time and even sticking my arm with a pin to see how bad the pain would be.  Sheesh!  What a baby!

Or maybe it’s because I have a jaded view of most medicine, thinking our bodies may just prefer to deal with some things on their own.  That’s not to say I fool around with things like polio or typhoid or tetanus.  But flu shots -- do we really need them?

I have a little longer to contemplate this decision since my doctor’s office is still just giving the swine flu vaccine to pregnant women and really old people. 

What about you?  Are you lining up for flu shots?

8 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

I'm not getting the shot. ...but I wouldn't tell anybody else what to do. I know people that have gotten the flu shot already.

To me, the flu isn't that dangerous. (Unless you are in one of the special classes that are indicated.) So what if I get the flu? I'll take off from work, drink lots of fluids, stay in bed until I feel better. That's all. In fact, it's a little appealing. :)

11:30 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I got mine, free at work. I'm not crazy about vaccinations, but I think they're far likely to help than to hurt! (I'll probably get the H1N1 too when it finally comes around.)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Far MORE likely, that is.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not getting it, but only because I can't (I'm allergic to eggs). Since I'm self-employed, and have been through Flu Hell many times, I would get the shot if I could. You clearly have a very strong immune sytem -- hurray!

F.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I got the regular shot and will get the H1N1 when available.

We have largely been shielded from epidemic in our lifetime, which has allowed us to be caviler about vaccination.

We may be about to see epidemic up close and personal. I think it is our civic and human responsibility not to be a host for the flu's spread.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- I suppose if I look at getting these shots as my civic duty, I will offer up both arms and say "Stick me." I really wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading any of the strains of flu these shots address. I wonder when the H1N1 will be available to me?

11:10 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i tend to think of flu jabs as for old people! (sorry Steve!) and can't think of myself as in that category, despite being in my second half-century...

5:13 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm bad. I am not getting the shot(s). I already turned down the regular shot twice, in favor of the clinic at work, which required a minimum number, but INOVA canceled on us. I cannot imagine going out of my way after three failed attempts.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home