Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Up, up, and away!


I have learned quite a lot about getting around Costa Rica this past week as I figure out how to get from one place to the next on our January trip. The pieces are gradually falling into place.

I originally was insisting on taking public buses everywhere so as to both save money and see more of the country. But I’ve come to see the wisdom of the person who said crossing the country would take 2 days by bus. So we will be doing the first leg of that trip on a tiny Nature Air plane like the colorful one in the picture above. From Nosara to San Jose takes 45 minutes by plane and 5-1/2 hours by bus. It will be the best spent $89 (each) of the trip.

Small planes like these often have serious weight restrictions. It turns out we can check one 30-pound bag and bring aboard a 10-pound carryon. Given my Samsonite that has wheels which move in all directions is also quite heavy, we went luggage shopping online and found this Delsey duffel which weights just a little over 8 pounds.



We still must hook up with a bus to the Caribbean coast in San Jose. And the word is that buses sell out, especially on the weekend (when we will be traveling). So through a friend, I managed to find a guy in San Jose who (for a reasonable fee) will purchase our bus tickets in advance, meet us at the airport, and deliver us to the Gran Caribe bus terminal to catch the Mepe bus to Puerto Viejo, only a 4-1/2 hour ride. But at least that way we get there in one day if all goes well.

I’ve been having a lot of fun reading travel forums and just learning from the experience of others. It’s sort of nice to go to places off the beaten path where you have to work a little to make it happen.

6 Comments:

Anonymous lr said...

The saying "getting there is half the fun" really is true. I think the planning and learning we do before traveling prepare us to more fully appreciate the experience as it unfolds.

7:10 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

What a colorful airplane! Will you be able to blog from there?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- How right you are!

MC -- Are you kidding me? I will probably be so white-knuckled in that little plane that Blogging will be the farthest thing from my mind!

I've had only one experience flying in a plane of this size when I went from Panama City, Panama, to the San Blas Islands. It was a little unnerving but exciting at the same time.

11:01 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

"There" = Costa Rica, not the airplane!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Sure. WiFi is everywhere these days, including at the yoga center! I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about and lots of pictures to share. My new suitcase has a little padded space for my Mac, so I'm good to go.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

We're really getting a chance to get to know Costa Rica through you and you're not even there yet! So much learning in the trip. Thanks for sharing!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home