Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Stalled


I haven’t said much about my new hip recently because my recovery seems to have hit a plateau. It’s certainly not like those first days and weeks after my accident when there was progress every day.

I must say I am delighted to be able to get out of bed easily and walk around the house every day. I’m delighted that for the most part I am free of pain. I’m delighted that I can once again do things like yoga, albeit with some modifications.

But I have discarded the hope that breaking my hip might actually fix a life-long gait problem I’ve had. I don’t have the same uneven gait, but rather a different one that still is obvious enough that people seem compelled to tell me that I am limping.

I have done my exercises religiously every day since this all happened in January, as faithfully as I wear my retainer each night. But I am slowly coming to the realization that my body might be as good as it ever gets.

Walking is still somewhat of a frustration, although I can do it with no external support. The problem is I continue to get discomfort in my new hip area and in the ligaments on the interior of my right knee, which tends to turn in. I noticed in SF that none of this happened when I used my cane and with the cane I could walk long distances.

So, in the interest of aerobic and weight-bearing exercise, I need to figure out whether there is a way to strengthen what’s weak or not working right through some form of therapy OR whether I must simply accept the fact that to take long walks I must bring along my cool cane.

I would love to get a professional opinion on this, but I’m never sure whom to ask.

I am eternally grateful this is not a life-threatening issue, but rather just an annoyance that I can easily live with if necessary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Are you still doing any sort of physical therapy? That's the kind of question a physical therapist could definitely address, as I'm sure you know. If you're out of PT you might consult someone and see what they say.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- My insurance is not great about covering PT, so it ended long ago, although I continue to do the exercises prescribed for me. I am thinking about contacting another therapist at that same practice who specializes in feet and gait issues. I could just pay out of pocket and see her at least a few times. If she can't help me, maybe she knows someone who can.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the PT (I think?) who came to your house? Could he help you with this question?

F.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- The PT who came to my house is a good friend. I don't want to abuse our relationship by asking for too many freebies. I may need someone to work with me on an ongoing basis.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home