Thursday, November 05, 2009

Making It Up


When I was recently complaining about not having any great inspiration for something to write about, Bulletholes suggested that I just make it up.  He's a master at blending fact and fiction, making it impossible to tell them apart.  But I guess he didn’t realize who he was talking to.

From my earliest years, I had difficulty with make-believe.  I had a hard time pretending.  As a result, at the age of 10 a (boy)friend and I built a dollhouse that took up half of my room.  We make bunk beds and upholstered living room furniture and even a drop-leaf table.  Our dolls had their own car.  Granted the dolls weren’t real, but everything else was!

A friend once suggested that I write a novel, but the thought of having to invent an entire story that took up hundreds of pages seemed just too daunting.

But my husband seems to have a different view of writing fiction.  Ever since he took a course in “Flash Fiction” at Chautauqua, he’s been anxious to write.  So it’s no great surprise that he’s jumped on the bandwagon of National Novel Writing Month, with the intention of writing a 50,000 word novel during the month of November.  That would be this month. 

When asked what he was going to write about, he finally revealed that his novel is based on this escapade we had last year on the Amalfi Coast.  As scary as it was, it apparently has provided inspiration for his book.

That’s a lot of words to write in a month.  I figure it’s at least 125 pages.  I think he’s at about 2,500 words right now, so we’ll see what happens.  I never thought about being married to a writer, but he may be on his way to defining a new career!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I'm impressed and wish D the best of luck. I don't think I could do it - nothing I imagine is nearly as good as reality.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Excellent! I've always had the same mental barrier to writing a novel. I love writing, but I don't have the time or patience to chart out a feasible plot. (But then I think, who says it has to be feasible? Who says I have to chart it out? Maybe we should just start writing, Barbara!)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Your whole life is like a novel!

Steve -- I can imagine being one of those people who get to the end and can't figure out how to tie everything together. But what do I really know since I've never tried making it up?

2:03 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Fact and fiction? A master? Barbara, you'd really be surprised at how much of my stuff is 99% true! The other 1% is just what I wished had happened....
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!
Good luck to david...its one thing to wrap up 5 paragraphs.....and another thing to get 125 pages to fit.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home