Thursday, February 25, 2010

Comfort Food at its Finest


I had decided to hang out at Starbucks between an appointment in Bethesda and reading to my shelter kids, so as to avoid driving down I-395 in rush hour only to turn around and go back into DC.  When suddenly the thought of pizza came to mind and I looked at my watch.  4:53 PM.

I had exactly 7 minutes to get to the best pizza bargain in town further on down Macarthur Boulevard.  Who ever heard of a pizza happy hour?



Every weekday from 3-5 PM all pizza is half price -- $2 a slice -- at Palisades Pizzeria.  They are generous slices, so that is quite a bargain.

I rolled in the door at 4:58 and ordered 4 slices, 3 to go and a sausage piece to eat there.  It was the perfect snack to give me the necessary energy to deal with a dozen very active children for an hour or so.

Tonight’s read-aloud was about fractured fairy tales.  So we read The True Story of The Three Little Pigs by John Sciezska, as told by the wolf in which the he claims he was framed.  We read Once Upon a Time, the End (asleep in 60 seconds) by Geoffrey Kloske, the very abbreviated stories a father told his son to try to get him to go to bed.  And the children made their own puzzles (another form of “fractured”) to take home.

Then I came home to a second piece of pizza and two for my husband.  A quick carrot-spinach salad with Asian dressing completed our otherwise take-out dinner.



Pizza is such comfort food.  I especially like the thin-crust variety with mostly vegetables and just a little meat thrown in.  (Not a vegan just yet obviously.)

Next time you are in DC on a weekday afternoon and you get a craving for pizza, try the happy hour at Palisades Pizzeria.  It will not disappoint you!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Yum, that looks so good! I eat way too much pizza already though.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pizza is one of my Major Food Groups.

F.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

That looks awesome! I'm always in DC on a weekday afternoon and I've never been to Palisades. I'm going to have to fix that.

Sounds like a fabulous dinner and a great read-aloud. Love the topic!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- There is no such thing as too much pizza. Seriously, I know there is because I had pizza last night and tonight and I think I have gained 5 pounds!

Anon -- I have fond memories of sharing delicious pizza with you!

Kristin -- Our new volunteer Mignon is a first grade teacher. She did a great job planning and pulling off tonight's theme. It was the usual cast of characters and she handled them all superbly!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

That pizza looks pretty darn good!

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home