Friday, February 19, 2010

Hot rice is nice


Last week I sent my husband to my new wonderful massage therapist and he came away with an injured neck.  So the least I could do was offer to make him a therapeutic rice “collar”.

It’s interesting how different people are affected by any sort of healing treatment.  He loves the sessions with his chiropractor.  I came away feeling not so good the last time I saw the same doctor.

The massage therapist is exactly what my body needs.  For my husband, his work was just a little too deep.

I had heard from Rayna about little pillows made of rice that you throw in the microwave and then apply to whatever hurts.  I went out and bought a big bag of long-grain rice and got out my scraps of material to make one. 

One design on the Internet suggested a horseshoe shaped thing.  But that seemed wrong to me because our shoulders are not flat. 



So I came up with this one that is more like a quarter moon.  Inside the soft outer cover is a similar shape with 30 “pockets” of rice.  I determined the rice had to be sectioned off so it wouldn’t all slide to the outer edges.  I learned that you can sew through rice without breaking a needle!

I added some French lavender to the inner pocketed structure to give it a relaxing smell.

My first attempt wasn’t long enough in the back.  So it went back the drawing board for the addition of another row of rice pockets.

This one is adjustable.  By using the second button, you can bring it up higher around the neck.



Just 90 seconds in the microwave provides at least 20 minutes of heat.

Hopefully the warmth of the hot rice and the sweet smell of lavender will soothe his aching neck! I will definitely not be sending him to Bill, the rolfer. Oh no!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, girl, you are quick! And crafty (in the good sense). I hope your creation helps D's neck.

If you ever want to come out of retirement, you could create a whole one-stop cottage industry: natural dog food, adjustable rice collars, wind chime repair, soup recipes, you name it.

F.

1:01 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

On one trip to Omega, I was taking a poetry class and one session they did holotropic breathing. It wasn't for me. I mentioned this to someone in the class and she made some comment about me not being ready for it. Then I mentioned it to a guy I was working with in the cafe and he talked about some of the bizarre things he'd seen and used the expression "barking like pigs" to mean some things were just WAY over the top.

Thank goodness we all choose what's best for us! (Stay away from the barking pigs. ;) )

2:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- I tend to flit from one thing to another these days, not having the energy or desire to be an entrepreneur. His neck does seem somewhat better today. I don't know if it's due to the hot rice collar, but it certainly didn't hurt anything!

LA -- At the suggestion of someone we both know, I was thinking of looking for someone skilled in holotropic breathing to take me through a re-birthing process, with the hope that I would learn what actually happened all those decades ago. Maybe I should reconsider if this therapy "barks like pigs" for you!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Barbara, you have refined the simple rice bag to an art! I have very simple rectangular ones and I love them, but you have inspired me to try your "improved" version. They feel soooo nice on a sore neck or shoulder. The flat ones are awfully nice to stick in the bottom of your bed when you go to bed with cold feet, too.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- I can't wait to hear how you further refine the rice bag. I'm so glad you like my design!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous jamy said...

This is amazing. I'm coming to you the next time I need sewing advice.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great idea! You are so creative.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jamy -- I'll gladly exchange sewing lessons for knitting lessons! :)

Kristin -- I've always loved little projects like this one that are finished in a few hours.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Maybe you don't want to start a cottage industry but I bet if you started a how-to blog for all the clever things you make, you'd have plenty of takers!

8:42 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

That's brilliant! BTW, I think you would like reading Bev Sykes' blog, Funny The World. She's one of the first bloggers I started reading, back in '02. http://www.funnytheworld.com

8:56 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Pretty cool device you made there. I have one I bought that is filled with buckwheat, whatever that is.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- My father was the one who could make clever things from nothing. I hope I inherited that gene from him!

Bozoette -- Thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure it will be good reading!

Merle -- Buckwheat probably works just like rice. I could have saved myself a trip to the store to buy rice!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home