Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Belly Fat

It’s a stranger’s photo, but it pretty well describes the situation around my middle that seems to occur most every year around this time.  Those few extra pounds make a difference and serve as a reminder to clean up my (eating) act.

I can’t tell you how many people have recently mentioned putting on unwanted pounds.  In my case, not necessarily enough to add a size, but enough to make a nice roll above the top of my NYDJ jeans, that continue to tuck my tummy.  That extra fat has to have somewhere to go.

I’m sure we are less active during the winter months.  I’m wondering if there is a tendency to eat extra fat and sugar as we struggle to combat the cold.  For me it’s always less than 5 pounds, but those pounds make all the difference in the world.

I’ve never had much trouble shedding the winter bulge, but it takes a conscious effort.  For a while I will limit myself to a single square of dark chocolate every day and I will indeed savor it.  I will say no to the temptation to buy a brownie or dark chocolate biscotti at Starbucks.  I will grab a piece of fruit when I’m hungry instead of getting out the cheese and crackers.  I will do those daily crunches with more commitment.  I will be a little more careful about what I order when eating out. 

The eating out part is the hardest, especially when really good bread is served and dessert is optional.  I have lunch plans for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week, so I really do have to think about what I eat.

Does anyone else have this problem of winter’s gift of a few extra pounds?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

oh for it to be just a few pounds! I'm back to walking a couple of miles a day, working back up to the five I walked before plantar fasciitis sidelined me. I've searched the cupboard for the smallest plate and am planning meals around lots of lettuce. Sigh.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I definitely empathize with the addition of winter weight, even if I don't get it. I've been walking everywhere! I haven't been eating poorly! Sigh. Fortunately, summer's just around the corner.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I haven't had too much trouble with weight gain, but I'm extra vigilant these days because Dave LOVES cooking with cheese, cream and butter, and I'm eating more red meat and ice cream, and drinking a bit more, too. I wouldn't be doing any of that on my own. Gym, gym, gym!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home