Tuesday, March 02, 2010

My New Image

 

In case you haven’t noticed, after almost 6 years of Blogging, I finally have a picture on my profile.  But its origin is both interesting and a little troublesome.

I suppose I had never posted a photo because I had never had one that was good without being staged.  But all of a sudden when I logged onto Facebook (as I do every month or so), I was greeted with something to the effect of “Would you like to add this photo (of yourself) to your home page (or whatever it’s called)?” 

I looked and sure enough it was a photo of me, nicely cropped.  I think its origin was from a fellow Blogger who attended a May Day party at my house almost 2 years ago.  I did indeed look happy and my hair was much better than it usually is.  So I said, “Sure, why not?”

But then I started to wonder how someone knew this photo from someone else’s Flicker album was of me.  I started to envision a whole KGB intelligence operation that involved files and photos in Flicker, Facebook, and Blogger.  And it somewhat creeped me out to know some anonymous employee had my number so totally.

However, yesterday I finally humbled myself and copied the photo into my Blogger profile, the new image of me -- chosen by a stranger from another person’s photos!

How scary is that?

But I still love the picture of a time when I was obviously happy, having a great time among friends on a beautiful sunny May day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That's a lovely photo, and nicely framed as well. It's really amazing how many different social universes there are out there.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Hi Barbara -- I recognized this immediately as an image from the May Day party!

The whole Facebook connection is not as nefarious as it seems. What probably happened is someone uploaded this photo to Facebook and tagged you in it. (They're probably already Facebook friends with you.) Facebook then automatically sends you a message saying you've been tagged in a photo. I've never been asked if I wanted to upload someone else's photo onto my profile page, but maybe they did that because they want you to appear more active on Facebook.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- The opportunity for electronic communication has completely redefined friendship I think. The possibilities are infinite now.

Steve -- I'm sure the Facebook people and those who have kindly befriended me are disappointed that I am such a non-participator.

As for the photo, I'm fairly sure it is one of Kim's. I'm still amazed that someone offered it up to me. Kindness at no price from someone I will never meet. Another spin on electronic communication.

1:30 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Great picture, no matter how it came to you!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I like the pic! And it's nice to see your smiling face when I come over to read your words.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did notice it, and really like seeing you when I visit! :-)

F.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I like the photo, too. Once you're "out there" on the web, nothing is safe or sacred, but then when is it ever? It's interesting that FB itself offered the photo for you to use. Wonder how you track the source down?

6:55 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I noticed your pic on a comment on Steve's blog. I think it's good to have a face out here in cyberspace. Nice pic.

Why don't you get on FB more than once a month? I love FB.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home