Saturday, March 13, 2010

Passing Gas


One of those things we just don’t talk about after the age of about 12, when even a Whoopee Cushion is no longer a thing of amusement.  God forbid we should use the words farting or flatulence.  Unfortunately it is a condition that some people learn to live with.

Like my father, for example.  In his late years it was so frequent that he didn’t even acknowledge what was happening.

But then who does acknowledge it?  Especially if there are more than 2 people in the room and it’s not obvious where the noise came from.

I once worked with a guy who definitely suffered from flatulence.  He was the brunt of many office jokes.  I often wondered how he felt about his condition and whether he had tried to get medical help.

I worry that I might inherit that particular characteristic of my father’s.  Certain foods, like dairy products and chocolate, tend to have that effect sometimes even now.  In my rolfing session last week, as the rolfer was working on my lower back rather intensively, I heard that tell-tale noise.  I imagine he hears it a lot as extra pressure compresses the person’s colon.  I said nothing and of course neither did he.

I will know I am really old when I no longer feel embarrassed!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

I'd have to be REALLY old to not be embarrassed. My sister (the nurse) suggests chlorophyll pills to lessen the odor, in the hopes that you can pass the noise off as a squeaky floorboard or a cleared throat. I know it happens to lots of folks - I'm going to hate being one of them :(

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how every intimate relationship has milestones, which when passed (pun intended) tell you you've reached a particular level of either ease or disinterest with the other? The "fart line" is one of those. I haven't reached it with the person I live with, and doubt I ever will, but they reached it with me months ago...

F.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Barbara, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you'll write about anything! :)

When I was in Peace Corps training in Morocco, I had dinner with other volunteers in the home of a village leader. We were told beforehand that belching after a meal wasn't considered rude. Well, one of the other trainees took things a step further by farting after the meal, to the horror of everyone in the room, including the Moroccans. We got a stern talking-to from our trainer after that episode!

8:54 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i still remember feeling sorry for my grandfather as a child - he suffered from flatulence and my gran used to tell him off all the time. poor man.

6:26 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Hi Barbara. Catching up on more than a month of blog absence! Trust you to talk about this 'windy' subject!When I have time I will go further back - have just got to the lovely thoughtful idea for your mother-in-law. Hope you manage to get it all together with the technology, but I'm sure she'll love those photos and names for now :)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I've never even considered it, but now it's on my mind. Not much embarrasses me, but that one does. I'd be mortified!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

My three-year-old granddaughter thinks that farts are hilarious. I think it is because of the surprise of it and the admittedly comical noise. Life would be so much jollier if we all viewed it in the same way! I remember a yoga class I took. Without fail the pose where you pull your knees up to your chest caused toots all over the room. It was hard not to giggle.

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home