Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Too much of a good thing


Salt is such a fickle ingredient.  Food without enough salt is bland but edible.  Food with too much salt is enough to make me gag.

The matzo ball soup was perfectly seasoned last night.  But tonight I decided to let the broth boil down a bit and added some fresh matzo balls to cook in it as it did.  I snipped some chives over the top and it looked picture perfect with big fluffy matzo balls, perhaps my best ever.

But one bite in, I realized the error of my ways.  By reducing the stock I increased the salinity to the point where the soup was simply inedible.   (And I have a  high tolerance for salt.)

I’m now glad we didn’t invite guests to share in the leftovers.   I don’t know how anyone could have politely gotten through a bowl of my picture-perfect matzo ball soup.

I wonder if that one bite was the equivalent of the salt in a Big Mac...

4 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Over the weekend, Mrs. Sneed had a bag of "lightly salted" peanuts. It was more salt than peanuts. Yuck.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- I know what you mean. Salt is seductive to a point and then all of a sudden it is just too much. Isn't it amazing that the body is so smart to tell us this?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's amazing how quickly we pass from good salty to gag.

10:29 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

I am a salt fiend so I probably would have loved it. Couldn't you just add more water to try to salvage it?

Also, I've heard that you can put a potato in a salty soup and the potato will pick up a good bit of the salt. Don't know if it's true but it might be worth a try if you find yourself in this situation again.

Happy Passover!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home