Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Lot of Sand



Instead of going to the gym today, I opted for another form of weight-lifting.  I decided to get rid of all the sand in the street, which was left over from the winter snows.  The county finally gave us the salt and sand, but it was not in their job description to get rid of it.


This is a shot in front of my neighbor’s house so you can see what it looked like when I started.  I swept the sand into 20 piles with the utility broom.  (At the top, you can see the end result. Not perfect, but definitely better.) A neighbor rolled by in his convertible on this picture-perfect day and commented, “That’s a lot of sand!”  Very astute, Don.

With my husband’s help, I managed to shovel the sand into trash receptacles and plastic garbage bags.  That was when we realized how many of our garbage cans had holes in the bottom.



We also realized just how heavy sand it.  It must have been hundreds of pounds of sand.  In the end, we resorted to a heavy-duty trash bag for each pile.  I couldn’t fill them full or the bottom would have broken.



My neighbor on the other side is out power-washing in front of his house.  I didn’t want to do that because I’m assuming there are chemicals in the sand that would not be so good for the grass.  I’m hoping his sand doesn’t wash down the street and end up in front of my house, because I have had enough fun playing in the sandbox for now!

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

You are really someone, Barbara!! Has anyone else had that idea? I bet everyone who saw you, like your neighbour, just nodded and thought, Oh, good idea!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow, that's some serious dedication! It would never occur to me to clean up sand. I just assume it all dissipates over the summer. But the street certainly looks better without it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Do you ever sit still?!

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home