Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kushi Sushi


As sort of a final family night out, we took our son out to dinner and a movie tonight before he heads off to San Francisco later in the week to look for a job.  We ate at Kushi Izakaya & Sushi, a new restaurant near 4th & K NW.  
From the outside and even the decor I was not prepared for the food that awaited us.  We ordered a combination of grilled dishes and sushi and every bite was delectable.  The portions were sort of Japanese tapas style, so we ordered a lot of dishes, including miso soup, grilled garlic scapes (pictured above), grilled Japanese eggplant, grilled sweet potatoes, grilled leg of duck, an eel-avocado maki roll, a fatty tuna-scallion maki roll, and lemon sorbet for dessert.



The kitchen is prominently displayed in the middle of the restaurant, where busy chefs prepare all the many dishes.  There is a separate area featuring a raw bar with mounds of fresh oysters.
The service was impeccable but subtle, just the way it should be.
I couldn’t help but think how great the red floral futon would look in the large red ladies’ room.
I used to think Sushi-ko was the best sushi restaurant in DC.  I think it now has a rival.  And the prices are definitely more affordable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Wow. I'll definitely have to give it a try. Sticky Rice has been my favorite for a while, but I'm always up for something new.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds wonderful! A good sushi restaurant is always something to treasure. I like it when the kitchen is out in plain sight.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May your son find what he's seeking. I'm glad you all had a dinner out together to help mark the transition.

F.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home