Friday, June 25, 2010

No Work and All Play


Why does this keep happening to me?  I inevitably find myself behind religious zealots who are acting like mobile missionaries.  No, I don’t GOT Jesus.  I respect him, but he is yours, Mr. VW, as a religious icon.
Enough about religion.  I am so excited because I am finally going on a trip.  My daughter and I are going to Thailand in August for a 10-day cooking tour with Brock, ex-chef and instructor at Hill’s Kitchen, who has taken up residence halfway around the world.
I’m not even thinking about all the walking through airports and markets, but rather focusing on how much fun it will be to experience days on end of Brock’s humor and half-full attitude.  We will probably sleep very little because we are going to a place that looks like this (credit to Brock for the photo).



Instead of sleep, we will focus on food, experiencing the best of Thailand's street food, $5 dinners in upscale restaurants, and "home-cooked" cuisine as a result of our classes. We are promised a lesson in basic Thai phrases as well, but I'm sure I will manage with sign language as I always have in places where I didn't speak the language. 

We will also be going up-country to see life outside the bustle of Bangkok and to enjoy the beauty of rural Thailand.  
It will be great to have almost two weeks of my daughter’s company.  I haven’t yet broken it to her that if we are renting motor bikes, she is driving.  She is quite adventurous, so I’m sure that will be fine.
I’m just waiting to hear back from Jason at World-Travel.com, the source of cheap airline tickets that cost the equivalent of our 11-day stay in Thailand.  I haven’t traveled internationally for a while other than on miles, so I wasn’t prepared for the sticker shock.  
But, hey, you only live once, so why not go and enjoy something new and different?  I’m sure Bangkok has changed a lot since I was there for work almost 30 years ago.  This time it’s no work and all play!

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Absolutely! When a chance like this arrives, grab it! I'd love to see Thailand one day -- I'm especially envious of the upcountry portion of your trip. Kevin and I kicked around the idea of going to Cambodia several years ago, but we never did it...

4:56 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

How exciting. I have heard from friends who have visited Thailand that it is a beautiful wonderland. I look forward to reading about your travels and viewing the amazing pictures that I am sure you will take.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Have a great trip! I'd be green with envy if I weren't just so happy for you.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Exactly! I'm grabbing. I can imagine Kevin would be a good traveling companion.

Gary -- I'm going to attempt to Blog from an iPad. That will be a new experience! My reading and travel books will be on the iPad too. I'm going light this time (famous last words).

Kristin -- I can only imagine Thailand will be on one of your upcoming travel spots.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home