Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shaving Off Foam


I had no sooner bragged to my husband, “I’m pretty good at this” than I realized the foam piece I was trying to shove into the cushion cover was just too big.   Mistakes like this are humbling.
I am working on this little project for Anadel at the same time I’m trying to make the window seat cushions.  She has 8 dining room chairs with very old, tired, stained seat covers.  I checked on what it would cost to get the work done professionally and it came in at $1200.  So I offered to do it for her.
I brought home one of each size cushion.  I started by cutting a diagonal hole in the bottom of each cover where I inserted a zipper to facilitate laundering in the future. 



Then I washed them with a lot of soap and Clorox to try to remove years of stains.
I made a pattern for the foam inserts and went out to The American Foam Center to get them cut, always a trip in more ways than distance. 



After carefully encasing the first foam piece in dacron (by hand), I went to put it in the cover.  That’s when I discovered my patterns were too big by about 3/8” on all sides.
So back to the TAFC where I had to twist Stewart’s arm to drop what he was doing and shave off the extra foam.  We agreed on $1 a cushion.  I put the dacron back on and tried it before leaving this time.  A perfect fit.
So now I have 2 out of the 6 done and ready to return when I go for my piano lesson on Thursday.



Most people never think about what’s inside a cushion if it’s reasonably comfortable.  I now know exactly what’s inside and what size it must be to fit properly.  Useful information if I ever take on a job like this again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

You continue to amaze with the amount of effort you put into so much of life!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea -- to share/trade your skills in this way!

F.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow, those cushions look great! You're saving her so much money and trouble!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home