Monday, April 11, 2011

A Day Worth Remembering


Where did it come from? This picture perfect day that replaced the cold and wet with warm and dry. Without knowing what the weather would be like, weeks ago I had scheduled for today my favorite spring outing with one of my best friends. The change in weather was a welcome surprise.

For as long as I can remember I have loved paddling around on the Tidal Basin in those little boats. Especially on a week day when hardly anyone else is around. There were probably half a dozen boats out on the slightly rippled water, but each of us had plenty of room.


After paddling almost all the way across, we rewarded ourselves with a picnic lunch. I traded half a lox and avocado sandwich for half a turkey and Swiss. There were carrots, cookies, a banana, and chocolate. We certainly ate well.

Today was especially nice because the slight breeze kept us cool and gave the water a more interesting surface. Although the cherry trees were slightly past their prime, remnants of pink petals still lingered in the bright green foliage.

As if our boat trip wasn’t enough, we want back to my friend’s house to start on the second movement of a Bach sonata. That was like icing on an already delicious cake!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

What fun - if I ever get down your way, can we go paddling? And have chocolate for lunch?

8:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I would love to take you boating and provide chocolate for dessert. It would probably not be up to Manet's Boating Party standards, but we would have a great time just paddling around with no particular place to go.

8:43 PM  
Blogger e said...

This post reminds me of part of a day several years ago when I experienced kyaking. It was great except for alligators...

I'm glad you and your friend didn't have any of those around. Chocolate? Good anytime.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely day! Thanks for sharing it and making me smile.

I LOVE paddle boats -- can I go with you sometime, too? :-)

I went kayaking for the first time last fall at a local reservoir and had a blast...

F.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- Alligators probably couldn't live in the polluted Tidal Basin!

F -- We will definitely do paddle boating when you come to town.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Yesterday was certainly a fantastic day to go paddleboating. I might have to abandon my usual spot and check out the Tidal Basin this year. I like the notion of paddleboating all the way across the Potomac!

7:37 PM  
Blogger karen said...

What a great day! Nice to be able to visit places when nobody else is there...

I have just been reading back on your very interesting posts from Israel, which is as far as I got, last time I had a chance to read blogs. I really enjoyed the virtual tour, and all your photos and observations along the way.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home