Sunday, May 08, 2011

My Day


Mother's Day is a great opportunity to go out to brunch, which we did at Belga Cafe on Capitol Hill. It was the perfect day to sit outdoors and have a leisurely meal.

After eating poached eggs with savory sides, we succumbed to a chocolate sampler that was beyond decadent.

I had a call from y daughter in NYC early this morning. I expect to hear from my son in San Francisco before the day is over. I continue to be grateful that neither of them has ever caused us to worry about drugs, alcohol, unwanted pregnancies, or any of the many other things that can bring anxiety to families. Instead they are good kids who are gradually finding their places in life.

Sitting next to us was a young Indian couple with an adorable 16-month-old son, who was completely content as long as he was eating. We struck up quite a conversation, with them even inviting us out to Ashburn for homemade masala dosa.

We have moved beyond cards and gifts for most occasions. But food will forever be a great way to celebrate!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I'm glad you're out celebrating with delicious food.

Yesterday a homeless woman wished me a Happy Mother's Day. After I returned the greeting, she said, "I'm not a mother, but thanks anyway." I replied, "I'm not a mother either, but we're all giving birth in other ways every day." She looked directly in my eyes, nodded, and we smiled at each other. That moment of connection made my day.

F.

3:35 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Glad you enjoyed mother's day, and well done for conquering that pie crust!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home