Sunday, April 17, 2011

Passover Food

Passover is fast approaching. This year I get to make the things I most enjoy preparing and leave everything else to my neighbor who is hosting the seder.
The secret to good gefilte fish is using the heads, bones, and skin to make a rich stock that the fish patties cook in. Good fish also means a stinky house, but fortunately the smell quickly fades.
Good gefilte fish must also be accompanied by good horseradish. That starts with a root that looks like it could be a club. Red beets give it the bright color. I always have to remind myself to hold my breath when I open the food processor because the fumes can be overwhelming.
One of the best side-products of fish-making is the rich broth that can be turned into bouillabaisse at a later date.

Chag sameach (happy holiday) to those who celebrate any of the upcoming spring holidays. They offer a good excuse to share food with friends and family with or without a dose of religious ritual!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That all sounds so delicious! On a completely unhealthy note, this is also the time of year when you can get Pepsi and Coke that contains real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I don't have soft drinks that often, but I have to say that Passover Coke tastes about 20 times better than regular Coke does. It's pretty amazing what a difference that makes.

12:23 AM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

Happy Passover, Barbara! :)

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Passover to you and your loved ones, Barbara! I hope you have a lovely time cooking, celebrating, reflecting, and observing.

F.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home