Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Phone Calls


A friend recently commented that I don’t much like speaking on the phone, that I say whatever I need to say and that’s mostly it. I had never thought about it, but I think she was right.

Maybe I inherited my father’s phone gene. I never remember him answering the phone if anyone else was home. His rule for long-distance calls was a three-minute limit. He was always a man of few words, but even fewer if they were costing him.

Whereas my mother carried on long, gossipy conversations with her friends, I never did. My boyfriend in 7th grade used to call every night and I found it annoying instead of endearing.

And now there are days when I never once answer the phone or make a call. And when I do call someone, it is with a purpose in mind, not just to shoot the breeze. That’s probably a sad comment on my lifestyle, but that’s just the way it is.

There are times when I long for friends that I might see or call virtually every day. But that would be a big departure from the reality of my somewhat solitary life.

The question I raise is whether these kinds of behavior are learned or inherited.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

I think use of the phone tendencies are probably inherited as much as any other of our personality traits are. But phones also seem to have a much more prominent role in the lives of many people than they did during the early years. I guess for me it depends on who I'm talking to. My conversations with my Dad are short and sweet, but with my Mom it's mostly her talking - to the point where she sometimes asks "Are you still there?". I guess I didn't inherit that gene, although I do tend to leave long rambling voice mail messages where I say the same thing about eight different ways. That's one of my several social disorders, hahaha.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Good question but I have no answers. I am terribly chatty on the phone, especially when I am talking to my friend Joy. But I have noticed that I rarely ever sit and talk. I am doing a bunch of things while on the phone and if I were limited to the length of a cord (as was the case when I was a child) I don't think I would be so verbose.

8:39 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

FWIW, I am the same. I *hate* talking on the phone and my poor friends and family know it and put up with me anyway.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home