Sunday, November 20, 2011

In Search of a Discounted Yoda


Last year when we started the book club at the homeless shelter, I knew we would have to pay for all the books because we have no corporate sponsor.  That doesn’t sound like a big deal for 6 kids.  But 6 kids once a month adds up.
I’m usually able to go online and buy used books for as little as 1 cent with $3.99 for shipping.  
But occasionally we choose a popular book that isn’t available at such a good price.  And so it is with “The Strange Case of Origami Yoda” by Tom Angleberger.  It was recommended by a children’s librarian at the Arlington County Public Library.  One look at the book told me it was the sort of book that might grab our reluctant readers.
The best I could do anywhere was $7.99 with free shipping, but that adds up to $48.  So we decided to go in search of a greater discount.  I called Abrams, the publisher in NYC, and left a message.  My husband wrote an email to Amazon, where we buy lots of stuff.  And I sent an email to the author, who happens to be a newspaper reporter in Roanoke.
Several days had passed and I was getting ready to pay the $48, when I got a message from the author today:
Let me see if I can wrangle some copies for you…
One way or the other Origami Yoda will be our January book.  We will spend some time talking about the book and eating healthier snacks than the kids are used to eating.  And then we will attempt to make our own origami yodas using this or one of the other many utube videos out there.
I’m so determined to see these kids take off as young readers.  Their worlds know no limits if they cast their lot with books!

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow, how great that the author responded! I'm so impressed that you involve yourself in so many worthwhile activities, from book clubs to homeless shelters to piano playing. It's all I can do to stay on top of housework and dog medication! :)

12:27 PM  
Blogger e said...

How wonderful for those children! Well done, you!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve, E -- I get as much out of this as the kids do. I would actually love to entice the author to visit the shelter for out next book club session. Roanoke isn't that far-away.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

You're such a good person! Hope you get all the books you need.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home