Thursday, November 10, 2011

Killing Me Softly with... Shampoo?


I am one of those people who wander aimlessly from shampoo to shampoo, always searching for the perfect blend that leaves my hair lustrous and manageable.  But what I didn’t realize was the reason I may not have liked quite a few of those products was they contained toxins.
I have long had problems with my hair feeling lifeless and my scalp itchy after a shampoo.  I just attributed it to the fact that I have always had somewhat dry skin.  For this reason I seldom wash my hair more than twice a week.
Last week while I was wasting time waiting for my knives to be sharpened, I walked into a chic hair salon in Tysons Galleria and bought Aveda shampoo and conditioner recommended by a stylist.  The bottles were attractive and it smelled nice enough to justify the cost.
But after washing my hair, I could scarcely get a comb through it and it felt robbed of all nutrients.  Not such a good showing for salon hair products.
A few days later while shopping at MOM’s Organic Market, I saw an array of natural products and decided to cast my luck with Desert Essence Green Apple and Ginger shampoo and conditioner.
Today my hair feels totally different and it looks 1000 times better as well.  Who ever heard of Desert Essence anything?  I’m beginning to think brands mean nothing when it comes to shampoo.  It’s all about ingredients.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I buy biodegradable cleaners of all sorts, including shampoos and conditioner, which means that my hair sometimes suffers. Coconut oil has balanced that out a little, but I'll have to look into the Desert Essence. That sounds great!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kevin Wood said...

I've had problems with SLS in both shampoos and toothpaste. For the past few years, I've been using a JASON product I found a MOM's. I really like it.
http://goo.gl/dKV5C

10:21 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I'm currently not liking any of my shampoos very much, so when I finish using them all up maybe I'll give these a try.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am on a lifelong search for the "perfect" shampoo -- hah! :-)

I use two Desert Essence products -- the fragrance-free shampoo (the conditioner doesn't work for me, though), and the Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads (they contain witch hazel and other somewhat harsh "natural" ingredients, but these are great for me on the road when I can't actually wash my face...).

F.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Reading this, I'm even happier that I shave my head. :)

Dave uses Aveda, which he swears by. So I guess it just depends on the person and the scalp!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I keep my hair very short and use a designer shampoo, called Suave Body Wash. Also good for general showering. :)

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer Kay said...

I hear you on the iffy ingredients in shampoos, etc.
I was just talking w/ my boyfriend about the gobs of chemicals we take in every single day and how so many women have an average or MINIMUM of 10-20 hair products alone.
Don't even get me started on aluminum...

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home