Sunday, August 19, 2012

Going for Gold


Over a year ago I first mentioned to my dentist a sensitivity in one of my upper teeth.  At that point it was slight and intermittent, so he said we should just watch it.  But I recently realized I was no longer chewing on that side of my mouth and any change in temperature sent me through the roof.

The odd thing was I went in this past week swearing it was a tooth that already had a crown and a root canal.  How could that possibly be?  But when my dentist touched a piece of ice to the molar behind that tooth, I knew just how wrong I was.

One hour later I walked out of his office with a temporary crown and high hopes that I wouldn’t need a root canal.  It all seemed so painless and easy, except for the $1675 charged on my Visa.

The immediate relief of my symptoms was so profound.  I could chew on both sides.  I could drink water with ice in it and hot tea without wincing.  Even though I have only the temporary crown, it seems like such a permanent fix.  In a month or so I will have my new gold tooth in place.

I am struck by how we often accept gradual changes in our bodies without paying much attention to them.  It was only when I was in agony that I realized I needed to get my cracked tooth repaired.

I wondered if a person with dementia has the same experience.  Is the very gradual loss of one’s mind even perceptible?  

I also wonder about my hip-back-gait issues.  I’m sure they collectively are worse than they were a few years ago, but the change is so gradual.

Unfortunately not everything can be fixed as easily as a broken tooth, and some things are just not fixable.  

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

I think you're right -- we just don't notice gradual changes. But you knew when the problem became so severe it needed attention.

Why are dentists so fascinated with gold for dental work? My dentist gave me a gold filling a few years ago too. It seems so old-fashioned!

1:21 AM  
Blogger e said...

Good luck with your permanent crown. I have a gold one in back. My dentist says gold is more durable and back molars work hard chewing and grinding.

I hope you've had a nice summer.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

It's always something isn't it? I'm glad you got this sorted out.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Marlena Tillens said...

You're right; some of us would need to experience pain and discomfort just to get noticed on the changes in our bodies, just like what happened to your tooth. And since such dental crowns would cost thousands even temporary, it would be better if they should be well-protected along with the teeth.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I hope the gold tooth has been working out for you. Smile and show them your Gold grillz!

2:16 AM  
Anonymous gynecologist phoenix said...

I wish you all the luck here.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Indianapolis dentists said...

Nice post!! I am agree with you.Thanks for sharing.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Cosmetic Dentist Tampa said...

I hope the gold tooth has been working out for you.I have had a lifetime of moments exactly like this.good Luck!!

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Teeth Cosmetics said...

I think gold teeth best suits you. Nowadays a lot of people are using this.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Peddler said...

I am struck by how we often accept gradual changes in our bodies without paying much attention to them. It was only when I was in agony that I realized I needed to get my cracked tooth repaired.online shopping in bangladesh

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home