Friday, December 31, 2004

The Me of 2004

I started this year as workaholic (I can now admit that) and a person who had lost all appreciation for the small pleasures of life. I wasn’t depressed, but I also was not happy.

Somewhere along the way I added some new ingredients to my life:

– Increased yoga
– My first massage (and not my last)
– Silent meditation
– Acupuncture
– Styling and coloring my graying hair
– Manicure
– Wearing makeup
– Playing the piano every day (instead of every 10 years)
– Playing duets with a bass player
– Aromatherapy
– Learning to hug
– Buying clothes that are more than just functional
– Looking forward to making love
– Psychotherapy
– Writing just for fun on a regular basis
– Learning trope to chant the Torah
– Daily exercise in our new basement gym
– Making all sorts of things
– The desperate need to interact with people

As a result I am a very different person today. I hardly have time for 40 hours of work a week, and I never work overtime. I still manage to get my job done. It just doesn’t enter my mind when I am not at work.

This has not been the recipe for eternal happiness. But the highs are infinitely higher, and I am learning to deal with the lows. The variety at least makes life much more interesting.

I know that at this point I can never go back to the old me. I am not yet totally comfortable with all aspects of the new me, but I like this person much better.

So what stones have I left unturned for 2005? I’m sure the list won’t be this long next year. But I’m already thinking about a few things:

– Getting a pedicure (if I can convince myself that my toes are not too ugly)
– Joining a group to explore creativity
– Starting the process of retirement from my job

Hopefully my health will be good and my body and mind and soul will work in harmony with one another! Here’s hope for 2005!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home