Monday, January 24, 2005

Snow and Crocuses

What do snow and crocuses have in common? They are both beautiful for a very brief period of time.

Last week when the threat of a shitload of snow came, someone replied, “I am hoping for a shitload of snow.” To which I replied, “Who over the age of 12 wants it to snow?” She went on and on about the calming and cleansing qualities of snow.

I generally only like snow under the following conditions:
(1) I don’t have to stay out in it long enough to get cold.
(2) I don’t have to shovel it.
(3) I don’t have to drive in it.
This translates into watching it fall from my family room window, while I sit next to the fireplace. Not terribly realistic! As the snow fell the next day, I do admit to noticing its beauty, especially when the flakes became large and were swirling around in big gusts of wind.

But it took only a day to turn pristine white into ruts of brown slush and to coat the car windshield with salty yuck. I strained my back shoveling the driveway and needed a good massage. So the winter wonderland had a short shelf-life once again.

At least the crocuses wilt with no side-effects!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home