Monday, May 09, 2005

Right-Sizing

Over the past 30 years my weight had gradually been creeping up from 130 to about 143. I was becoming more and more pear-shaped and my stomach muscles which had never been any good were getting worse.

Last fall I created my own version of all the popular diets and went on an exercise campaign. One person who was ahead of me in this endeavor had commented that the hardest thing about dieting was figuring out how to stop losing weight. I doubted that I would ever experience that problem.

But little by little the pounds came off and my stomach began to flatten and become stronger. I was getting a little worried when clothes that I had already altered were becoming baggy. I had hoped to stop at a perfect size 8. I also noticed that eating was not very much fun anymore. I seldom allowed myself the luxury of much sugar or extra fat. So two weeks ago, I decided to figure out how to stabilize my weight and actually gain a couple of pounds.

What I have finally realized is that weight is neither lost quickly or gained quickly – it’s not just one splurge or one day of diminished calories that really makes a marked difference. But it’s an overall pattern – which would make sense. So I now allow myself treats from time to time. I like my current weight. Most of my clothes fit OK now. And most size 8's off the rack work just fine.

I am positive that to stay at this size I will need to exercise for the rest of my life. But this is what I should have been doing all along. As with many things, I am just a little late getting started. The answer for me is sensible eating with reasonable exceptions and exercise at least 5 times a week. I not only look better, but shopping is more fun and I feel better and stronger too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home