Friday, April 29, 2005

Is God Real?

This is one of the thorny questions we tossed around at our recent seder. The majority of us – Jews and Christians alike – were convinced that a belief in God was necessary to apply those religious labels. Rebecca goes so far as to demand a God that “kicks ass and takes names”. Whereas Linda asserts that she can call herself a Jew and have absolutely no belief in God. When I converted to Judaism, I clearly remember that there was no requirement to adhere to a creed, only to believe in God. In rethinking this, I remembered, however, that the ultra-liberal rabbi who did my conversion believed in a cosmic force as his God. Obviously not all Jews believe in the Old Testament God that I have always worshiped.

David pursued this issue this week with our rabbi, trying to weigh the importance of a belief in God. Danny came out strongly on the side of a belief in God, saying that a Jew who did not believe in God was the equivalent of an American who denied his patriotism. However, Linda was not only not convinced, but was offended that David was questioning her right to call herself a Jew and be an atheist. She at one point suggested that he was behaving like a conservative Christian in attempting to assert his own belief. They have since just agreed to disagree and the e-mail barrage is over.

I may not buy all the stories in the Torah as actually having happened. But I have always had a very strong belief in God that conveyed to my new religion, with God simply laughing because I was changing my religious label. For as long as I can remember, I have prayed to God and had my prayers answered. All I have to do to reaffirm my belief in God is to watch the sun rise and set, the seasons change, a baby be born, a flower open. I am always amazed at how anyone could doubt the existence of God in the face of all this compelling evidence.

I am a relatively strong person, but I still rely on God in the face of adversity or sadness or death. It is the presence of God that gets me through any personal crisis and make the world right again. My Grandmother’s favorite hymn was “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” by Martin Luther. I have since left behind that old hymn, but the sentiment is still there. My God is indeed my rock and my salvation.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love God,
I know that he sufferd under ponches polate.
and i know the whole apostels creed.

But i kind of forgot so i will remember later.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a great website about GOD

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mabey JESUS you showed do JESUS

10:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary the first definition of religion is:

1 a: the state of a religious [a nun in her 20th year of religion] b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

In my humble opinion a person cannot consider themselves a religous person and not believe in the God or higher power to which that religion believes. If they do it is just a farce.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home