Friday, June 10, 2005

Hablo Espanol... After All

WOW! Did I ever have fun this afternoon!

After being told by the Foreign Service Institute that they didn’t have a class at my (low) level, I was getting panicky about my Spanish ability for this upcoming trip to Mexico. The Director of the Census Bureau was supposed to go, but decided that family commitments would not permit him to travel over July 4. So I am going to have to represent the Bureau at this conference! Gulp!

For 2 weeks I have been leaving messages for hispanic teachers who never seemed to call me back. Then all of a sudden I found Edwin from Peru who can devote as much of the next week as I would like to my Spanish review. He came over today and we spent 2 wonderful hours just talking and talking with NO English. He has this nice way of correcting you without making you feel like an idiot. Spanish is such a nice, friendly language. It was like getting reacquainted with an old friend.

Edwin is going to work with me Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week. I think by then my confidence will be restored and I will be close to ready for Mexico.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home