Thursday, October 06, 2005

On a Fast Track

Many Jews fast on Yom Kippur as part of their observance of this solemn holiday. The holiday is about death and re-birth, so the idea of not eating reminds us that we are dead. Or so they say. You see, I have never in my 30 years of being Jewish actually fasted. I have never even been tempted to try, not even just skipping lunch. Instead, after the morning service and before we start up again back at Temple Micah, I sneak off and eat my LUNCH. For these past years I have felt just a little guilty as I looked around mid-afternoon and saw the glazed looks on some of my fellow choir members’ faces. For heavens sake, Teddy doesn’t even drink water! I just don’t know how he does it.

Well, this year I decided to try fasting, but still allowing myself the luxury of drinking water. I won’t eat anything after sundown on Yom Kippur Eve until the break-fast after sundown the next day.

There is this little issue of my daily latte with two shots of espresso. I have become addicted to these Starbucks treats. But I can’t give up food and caffeine all at the same time, so this calls for drastic measures. Today I ordered a decaf latte. This afternoon I drank herbal tea instead of my usual green tea. I must say that I feel like a walking zombie. But I am going to be caffeine FREE by Yom Kippur.

I’ve always blamed my unwillingness to fast on my low blood pressure. If indeed it is a problem next week, I will have an energy bar or two tucked in my things. I’ll just sneak out and eat if I feel too faint.

I have heard that it is actually good for your body to occasionally give it a rest from eating and digesting. I guess I will find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home