Monday, December 19, 2005

Linda's Raspberry Truffles

Cube’s recent post reminded me that most of my favorite recipes don’t come from The Joy of Cooking or my Moosewood cookbook, but rather from individuals I have encountered throughout my lifetime. These include numerous recipes from my mother, all written in her beautiful Palmer style handwriting. There is the cheese ball recipe from Jean at the FBI – I often say that this is the only good thing I took away from my 3-month stint at the FBI! There are cards and clippings from numerous other people. But some of my favorite recipes – the ones that NEVER fail, come from my friend Linda. She is the kind of person who always follows all the directions and everything she cooks is extraordinary. Her recipes include mustard-dill sauce for smoked salmon, "messy" chicken, and raspberry truffles.

This is the time of the year when I am often looking for something I can turn out as needed. Raspberry truffles are just perfect. I can mix up a double batch and just leave them in the refrigerator, rolling out the little balls as needed for a last-minute present. The best thing about this recipe is that you can always lick your fingers after every new gift box is filled – Yummm...

12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
½ cup heavy cream
½ stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup raspberry jam (without seeds)
2 T. chambord
Salt
Unsweetened cocoa

Bring the cream to a boil. Stir in the chocolate until it is melted. Add the butter and stir until it is melted. Add the raspberry jam, the chambord, and just a pinch of salt. Chill the truffle mixture for at least 4 hours. Use a teaspoon to scoop out small balls and roll them in cocoa powder. Either let them sit on a cookie sheet for an hour or put them directly into candy paper "cups". Make sure to eat one just to test them out and do, by all means, lick your fingers! Couldn’t be easier.

Every time I eat one of these truffles, I think of my friend Linda, who is truly one of the best cooks I know!

1 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Thanks! I think I'll make these for my office for Valentine's Day! :)

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home