Thursday, December 15, 2005

To Shave or Not to Shave

DC Cookie has us all thinking about hair removal today. I thought back over my checkered past. I remembered only too well the first time I shaved my legs – it seemed to take hours to get all that peach fuzz off. I had very blond hair, so it wasn’t even obvious that I had hair on my legs, but EVERYBODY was doing it, so I snuck a razor and probably nicked myself a half dozen times since I didn’t have the slightest clue how to do it.

There was a period when I shaved everyday. Even in high school, I remember my mother complaining about how many razor blades I was going through. The depression mentality even counted razor blades. Those were the days when you bought razor blades in a funny little dispenser and put them in a razor that unscrewed. I hadn’t really thought about that in a LONG time.

I was really good about shaving until I had been married for a few years. I decided to go European one winter just to see what it would be like. After all, my hair was so light that it didn’t look gross especially after it grew out and was soft again. It must not have made much of an impression on my husband because when I asked him tonight if he remembered the era in which I didn’t shave, he said “Vaguely.” But then he is sometimes not too observant about details like that.

Unlike Cookie’s mother, I have been all over the map on personal beautification. In those non-shaving years, I also wore very little makeup, telling myself that the natural look was more wholesome. I didn’t paint my nails or color my hair.

Then a couple of years ago I had a wake-up call and realized just how much more fun it was to pamper myself and “enhance” my appearance. Shaving was back. A more stylish haircut. Highlights in my hair. Manicure. Pedicure occasionally. And makeup. When I look at the sad plain face on my government badge, I realize that these things collectively make a huge difference. Furthermore, they are actually fun!

As for all those other options for hair removal, I don’t think I could take the pain. I wince when I get my eyebrows shaped with that thread treatment. Once my hair person also did my upper lip and it hurt like hell. Hot wax sounds too awful to imagine. So I will stick with my Gillette Venus razor but certainly not every day ...

3 Comments:

Blogger alwswrite said...

The Venus razor is fantastic. I don't even need soap, let alone shaving cream, when I use it. But still... I'm lazy. Maybe it's because I'm single right now, but I haven't been shaving more than twice a week. Sometimes (blush) only once. Which reminds me, one of the reasons I took the day off today was for a long-overdue bikini wax. Time to get moving :)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Laser removal. Barring that..wax. Grooming is important. It can set the tone for your day and how you face the world.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I am definitely a girl when it comes to that stuff. I think part of the fun of being a girl is you can play with various things (hair, makeup, nails, etc...).

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home