Friday, April 21, 2006

The Effect of a Song

This morning as I drove to work, I found the sound of Queen to be exactly what I needed to snap myself out of a funk I was in yesterday. I was struck by how just the sound of a group that I love could have such a profound effect on my psyche.

Then I started to think about why this funk had happened. Just the day before I had been luxuriating in an Aveda salon, followed by lunch outdoors with one of the friends I most love. But then all of this nirvana had been jarred as I got up to leave and my toe found something to catch on. For wanting to discretely blend into the rich Bethesda crowd, I had just called incredible attention to myself. The good news was that the fall left me with no broken bones, just a bruised pinky and a slightly scraped knee and a feeling of "Why does this keep happening?" My friend scooped me up off the sidewalk and offered me her hand as we walked back to the car. I mean, what are friends for?

Also contributing to my funk is the fact that I have been hard at my nasty habit of overloading my schedule to the point where it is difficult to squeeze in a much-needed bike ride. I think it’s time for some serious sorting out of what is really necessary and what might just be done by someone else or not at all. The spring is too pretty to pass up an opportunity to ride around in it.

My series of non-stop problems at work yesterday, to the point where I didn’t even have a chance to do any recreational Blogging at lunchtime, did not leave me with a good feeling either. I found myself wanting to get enthused by things I should be excited about in my new position, but simply not having the energy to put into it.

And last, but not least, is my itchy arm, which most definitely is poison ivy. I have restrained myself from scratching the shit out of it, but it is tempting. I will probably not be able to just ignore this red bumpy mess that is still confined to my right lower arm.

So back to Queen. Just the sound of that group makes me feel happy, no matter what they are singing. It was not even a particularly happy song: Bohemian Rhapsody, which starts off:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.
Open your eyes,
Look up to the skies and see.
I’m just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
Because I’m easy come, easy go,
A little high, little low,
Anyway the wind blows, doesn’t really matter to me,
To me.

Hearing anything by Queen always reminds me of a particular scene almost 15 years ago. My children were incredible swimmers (somewhat at my urging since I have this fear of deep water and drowning.) Their swim team was getting ready for a huge meet the following weekend. The coach, who was also a great artist, organized a party ahead of time where they ate pizza and made alligator hats that they all wore to the meet. While they were cutting and gluing, Queen blared in the background. At one point, a precocious 12-year old Bridget stood up on the table and led the group in roaring out "We are the champions". And they truly were. Why do we remember such things?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

That actually brought a tear to my eye. I know. I'm weird. I'm just picturing a 12-year-old caught up in the moment, a vision, a song forever emblazed. It's a great pick-me-up.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I fell into a funk, too, after our fabulous fantasy afternoon in Bethesda. Perhaps we were so out of our element that there was nowhere to go but DOWN afterwards (including your trip and fall).

Queen was GREAT ... here's another set of lyrics from one of my favorites, the Talking Heads. This is what was going through my mind after visiting Upper Caucasia:

from : Once in a Lifetime
-----------------------

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!
Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was ...Same as it ever was...

8:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- You would have loved Bridget because you are a swimmer too. She and my Daniel were nationally ranked at one point. They both did fly and they were truly amazing to watch. That scene brings a tear to my eye too. And I still have one of the alligator hats.

Reya -- Uncanny similarities between the lyrics to these two songs. Do you have the music to this song? If so, can I borrow it? Music gives the words shape. I'm better tonight with the exception of my itch. Maybe the rain will leave fresh crisp spring air, just right for a bike ride by the river.

9:11 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

A great story and it reminds me of a special moments in my life: My first trip to Londond (1974) and I went to His Masters Voice on Oxford Street. Remember only London has 20 times inhabbitants of Oslo, Norway and I was from a small village with 25 000 inhabitants. I was young, unexcperienced and felt small in the big city. Entering this BIG music store, Queens "We are the champions" literary filled the room, was so loude so I felt it in my whole body. I was overwhelmed and felt it was the biggest music moments in my life.
The next one some year later was to listen and hear Bob Marley three times in one year on conserts in Scandinavai. But that is another history:-)

6:07 AM  
Blogger ernestmaitim said...

Hi Barbara! I too love Queen. They had a "Queen Week" at the Amer Idol. I had fun watching it though not everyone sung great. Elliot Yamin rendered his version of "Somebody to love" - my all-time fave. I thought he did fine.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home