Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Funny Thing About Identity

Every weekday morning for as long as I can remember, I have passed by a guard at the entrance to my building who checked my badge. Every day, the exchange as I flashed my badge would be:

Guard: OK.
Me: Have a nice day.
Guard: You do the same.

This same conversation could be programmed into two robots who could easily repeat it day after day after day.

It just occurred to me today that I have never learned one of those guards’ names. I have never even been curious. Whereas they have seen my name repeatedly.

Why haven’t I ever wanted to personify these people who check the same date on my badge over and over until the day it expires?

Would they have the slightest idea who I was if someone asked about Ms. Diskin?

Why is it that certain people in our lives get relegated to this robotic exchange and never move beyond it?

I have decided that I will ask the guard his name tomorrow. It’s never too late.

5 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

I am a big believer in knowing the guards names,the cleaning crews names....everyone. These are your support team. Please do speak to him.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jamy said...

I don't know the names of our gaurds or cleaning crew either, but I always smile, make eye contact and say hello to all of them.

I think the reason we don't do this (learn names) is that it can be overwhelming to have a semi-real relationship with every single person we meet. It tires me out just thinking about it.

That said, I (try and) treat everyone one with respect. Including the people who ask me for money on the street.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Like Cube, I know the names of the concierge, the woman who sits at the desk, the names of the two people who clean the building, and the maintenance staff who change litebulbs and fix the heat when it's too hot and the AC when it's too cold. But then we were the first company to move into our building and it was a month or more before others moved in, so it was easy for them to get to know us. One woman who used to clean in our building went out on her own with her sister to clean homes and I hired her because she was meticulous! DO get to know their names because they are so appreciative, as well are, when someone takes the time to identify us as individuals.

We too are moving next Fall to Crystal City. It will be an easier commute for me but I will miss being in DC.

K

7:35 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

"as we all are".............duh

7:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I had a real conversation with the guard today. His name is Mek and he is from Nigeria. He flashed me a big smile and shook my hand. It's a good feeling to know something more about this person I see every day. Oh yeah, he also asked me my name. So I guess all he had been looking at was the date on my badge... I can't wait to say "Hi Mek" tomorrow as I offer up my badge for inspection.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home