Monday, April 10, 2006

Missing Breakfast

As I poured milk on my bowl of Cheerios today, I thought about the beautiful breakfast smorgasbords I had experienced over the past 10 days in Israel. The Israelis take breakfast to a whole new level.

The first day in Israel I had piled my plate high and gone back for seconds. This included multiple salads, cheeses, fish, eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, bread, cake, coffee, tea, fresh juice, you-name-it – it was all there. And these were some of my very favorite foods. I quickly realized that I needed to exercise at least enough restraint not to go back for seconds. But the good news was that it kept my stomach happy until mid-afternoon.

So this is why my solitary bowl of Cheerios and the banana I took to my 10 AM meeting paled in comparison. By noon my angry stomach was demanding lunch and how about falafel or shwarma in pita? No, instead I am eating Nile Spice Lentil Soup – just add water and stir, a lowfat yogurt, and an orange for lunch. Healthy? Yes, but not nearly as yummy.

There are other things I miss, but breakfast is right up there at the top of the list.

2 Comments:

Blogger DC Cookie said...

Welcome home!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks, Cookie! I have to dive back into reading DC Blogs again now that my jet-lag is fading. I've missed all of you guys!

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home