Friday, June 09, 2006

Wedding Bells



What in the world do you buy for people in their fifties who are getting married for the first time? They probably already have two of everything essential. I like to buy wedding presents that are a little out of the ordinary and that will serve as a reminder of my best wishes for years to come.

My friend Bill, who plays the double bass in the NSO and coaches Deborah and me, actually got married last December to someone who was a principal oboist in another symphony orchestra. They have had a commuting marriage for the last few months while she finished out her contract. But his bride is finally in town and they can at last live together in one house.

They are having an open house this weekend so that local friends can welcome them as a couple. I’m sure it will be a gala affair as they both like to cook and they adore champagne.

I thought long and hard about what to buy as a gift for them. Deborah suggested a plant. But I know my luck with the plants I have received as gifts and thought some more. I finally came up with the idea of decorative glass salt shakers from The Kindred Spirit. No one can ever have too many salt shakers. Each pair is unique. Some are animals, like pigs, cows, and birds on one leg. But I opted for something a little more classy. Don’t you like them?

2 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

They're great! I'm going to buy them a super duper bottle of champagne ... cristal, maybe? See you Sunday!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love them! I have quite a few antiques in my old house (well, not that old, 1921)and I do collect blue glass. These look very unique as must be this couple who have just happened to made it to their fifties without the Big Hitch! So interesting.

(My neatest collection is of teacups with solid handles, like a flower or butterfly. These are very hard to come by but I also have that style of cream, sugar, and teapot. I'm hooked on dishes and it's what I gravitate to at flea markets and antique shows!)

Anyway, they will love your gift!

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home