Saturday, June 03, 2006

Worth the Schlep?


One day this week as I was almost 10 minutes underway in my commute to work, I looked in the mirror and made a quick U-turn. I had forgotten to put on my make-up. If anyone had told me two years ago that this would EVER happen to me, I would have totally denied it because I was still in my 25-year au-natural look without make-up. I must not be the only person who does this because I read just yesterday that Pagan Marbury carries spare make-up in her purse for just such an occasion.

I re-introduced make-up in my life much as a person who is going through food allergy testing – one thing at a time. I started with a little lipstick, then added tinted moisturizer, then blush, then eye shadow, etc. I’m not even sure it really makes much difference. It’s just that I now feel naked if I don’t apply a bare minimum.

I still really need help with the eyeliner and mascara. Many days I avoid those because the lines are usually crooked and the mascara seems to glop more than it lengthens. I would love for someone to help me find the right products and teach me exactly how to put them on so they enhance without being noticeable. (Is there such a thing as a make-up coach?)

So I got to work 20 minutes later than usual that day. I don’t even remember which day it was or whether my lateness mattered at all. But I am glad I didn’t have to go through the day seeing a pale face every time I looked in the mirror. I guess some things are worth the schlep, even if it is only buying you peace of mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I love make up. There are many make up counters where you can get "coaching" - but I have to say you do a great job.

p.s. Mac pro-lash mascara will not glop.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home