Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Doggy Double-Dipper

I became sad as I watched my 13-year-old dog Dylan slowing turning into a skeleton. My son had taken him to the vet and had one expensive test run that didn’t show any problems. When the vet called back and suggested a CAT scan at the tune of $300, I decided to try another approach.

I had suspected for some time that the younger dog Jake was stealing Dylan’s dinner. As Dylan’s hips were becoming narrower, Jake was taking on a new girth. I'll bet that if we had been weighing them regularly, their combined weight would have remained constant. So I presented my theory to my husband who feeds them at night and he agreed to watch them eat instead of ducking back into his office after giving them their food.

Sure enough, one week later Dylan is obviously gaining weight and Jake is starting to look sveldt once again. I have added cottage cheese and plain yogurt to Dylan’s mostly meat diet and he is increasingly excited about mealtimes. Jake, who always finishes first, gets to lick the spoon while the old man makes his way through his new gourmet breakfast.

In this day and age where every pet cure comes with an outrageous price tag, I feel overjoyed at having exposed the double-dipping dog, putting my precious Dylan back on the road to old age with a full belly and saving me big bucks at the vet’s office.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good catch on Jake! Am glad Dylan is gaining weight again. Obviously a very polite dog who allows his "brother" to eat his food without protest. Sometimes politeness can lead to dire consequences. However for humans who are trying to lose weight, they might try passing their plates to the skinny one at the table.

:-)

Kate

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Smart thinking. I'm so glad that Dylan's gaining weight. Good catch!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Oh, good for you! I am glad you had a positive outcome.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love happy endings! Glad it wasn't anything serious....well, I guess it was to Dylan!!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes for Dylan. He is so excited about breakfast now that he is off the couch and waiting anxiously for me to come down in the morning. His black coat is shinier than it has ever been with the additions of yogurt and cottage cheese to his diet. I let the guilty one lick the spoon while Dylan slowly eats his breakfast.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home