Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I'd Rather Be Biking



I felt a mixture of envy, anger, and desire yesterday when my husband called yesterday to see if I would like to skip work today to bike the Crescent Trail. Didn't he know that I couldn't just walk out on my job on a moment's notice?

It's times like this that I am so jealous of his unscheduled life that permits him to do whatever he feels like doing most every day, as I head off to my usual 8:00 to 5:30 workday.

Every one of his daytime bike trips makes me realize what a slug I'm going to be when we go to France and attempt to ride around Provence on our rented bikes. While I'm exercising my fingers typing away on my computer at the office, he is building up his biking stamina.

I would have considered taking the day off, but my staff is responsible for an hour-long presentation to our division tomorrow and we had a dry run today. I just couldn't skip out on that. It went well as I looked out the window at one of the nicest days of the fall and wished I were on my bike.

The Crescent Trail looks like a fantastic ride, especially during the weekdays when it's not so crowded. Maybe the weekend before we leave for France, I'll finally have a chance to find out. If not my sole contribution to this trip may be as translator and part-time cook!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I do love the mental acrobatics I do at work each day - I think it keeps me sharp - but every once in a while I regret not seeing the sun, not riding a bike. I envy your husband as well.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love the freedom I have right now and my husband can book hours around his own schedule if he really wants. But certainly when you're teaching, you can't ever just book off, especially in a small town. Usually you feel guilty even when you really are booking off sick!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Do you have an exercise room in the building? With bike machines?

Join the Little Miss Sunshine Beauty Contest. Go to cupofcoffey.blogspot.com to 'register'. We are posting our 3rd grade school pix on October 1, 2006

4:36 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Oops that cup-of-coffey.blogspot.com

4:37 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I empathize with you. Of course, the danger is that I would spend the day biking and not working - but, when I think about it, I have rarely ever seen anything vital being done at work. You feel guilty scheduling 2 weeks off - how will they survive? I have taken a number of long periods of work (the longest being 6 months) and whenever I came back, not much had really changed – in many cases, the same work was still outstanding.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

It is my firm belief that we should all make sure others know we are expendable - otherwise we'd NEVER get a day off :)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You are ready for vacation! You'll have a blast in France where, by the way, slugs are referred to as escargot and are thought to be a great delicacy. Hang in there; in just a couple of weeks you'll be on your way!

9:28 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

As to why I deleted from your post, well, I must confess that while all my stories are 98% accurate, I do not speak a lick of French. But with the power of "Google" I had tried to dupe you into thinking I was fluent.
I posted, in French, "what could be more romantic than to dine and bike through the provencal region of France." But when you translate it back from the French to English it sounds like you "love your bike and are going to dine it in France". I tried several variations but it always came out the you were going to feed the bike.
So, "avoir un temps charmant" which , according to google means "Have a lovely time".

9:42 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I did it! I took the afternoon off today and rode on this beautiful bike path with my husband. We rode from Georgetown to River Road (6 miles) and back. It was uphill all the way there, but coming home was a breeze. What a great afternoon. It was a big improvement over sitting at my desk!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home